PDA

View Full Version : Pocket PC excel logbook

Mo Heekan
16th Jan 2003, 14:33
Hi all,

I'm selling my laptop and buying a Compaq Ipaq PDA. This means i want to get rid of carrying my paper logbook and use a simple electronic one.

I don't want complex duty times, inside leg measurements etc, just the standard columns and the ability to add up hours. I then want to 'seamlessly' transfer to my main Excel programme and for them to update each other.

I believe you get Pocket Excel with the Ipaq and wondered if anyone knew of such a programme that I could acquire.

I hope you can help and look forward to your reply

Kind regards

Mo

UK-Kiwi
19th Jan 2003, 19:53
The actual Pocket PC operating system comes with Pocket Excel, so no problem there.

Excel and Pocket Excel sync nicely, but only the more simple functions, ie no complex functions or automation (I have an iPAQ). However any sort of logbook, or budget/milage/expences etc is simple Excel functions. You could very easily duplcate your paper logbook into Excel and add some formulas at the bottom of columns to add things up. Easy enough to do yourself.

However, I bet you'll be re-inventing the wheel, this must have been done by many others?

Search on google for anything to do with excel logbook pocketpc etc and take your pick from the many.

The main problem for any paper-based person moving on to electronic forms... they don't back it up!
Let your iPAQ go flat (1-2 weeks no charge) and you lose your logbook.

What's the legal situation? (I'm an aviation newbie), do you need to print paper copies (for signitures?), or can you keep electonic docs only.

Hope this helps
Cheers

Mo Heekan
25th Jan 2003, 21:03
Thanks UK - Kiwi,

Sorry for the late reply, i was away flying.

My plan is to back up the IPAQ daily so i don't lose date, especially the logbook. I've tried many Google searches but can't find a simple Excel logbook. Surely it must be out there. Just a simple hours addition for the month, year etc. If anyone can help i'd appreciate it

Regsards

Mo

Jet II
26th Jan 2003, 16:04
Mo

Go to Dogpile (http://www.dogpile.com/) and type in excel flight time logbook and it comes up with quite a few pilot logbooks that may be OK for your requirements.

Mo Heekan
27th Jan 2003, 14:32
Thanks Jet II. I'll plough through them and let you know.