PDA

View Full Version : Hi From Africa

Gunship
16th Jan 2003, 12:31
Guys, normally this happens in MY continent .. so I just had to share it with my Aviator friends down under ... have a good day m8 ;)

Smelly fruit grounds plane

Sydney - An infamously smelly fruit in the cargo hold of an Australian airliner forced a full-scale security alert and evacuation of the plane Thursday as baggage handlers feared they faced a possible terrorist threat.

The Virgin Blue flight from Brisbane to Adelaide was delayed for four hours while police and firefighters investigated a suspicious smell and white powder found in the cargo area, officials said.

The powder turned out to be carpet deodoriser a passenger had sprayed on a package containing the notoriously smelly Southeast Asian fruit, durian, apparently in a failed bid to disguise the odour, officials said.

"They were loading the plane up to fly interstate when the crew smelled a gas-type smell and they found a powder," said Tom James of the fire service.

"They took proper precautions and called us, so we are now handling the situation."

The chief executive of Virgin Blue, Brett Godfrey, was later forced to defend his staff from charges they overreacted in the climate of terrorism fears.

"I don't think in this climate we can be overzealous," he said.

"Serious airlines take safety seriously and we'd like to think we're a very serious airline, so we don't take any chances in this particular climate we're in."

However Godfrey said the smell of the fruit alone was enough to keep the plane grounded.

"This wasn't a safety issue, this was a gross issue - no one wants to fly in an airplane that smells like that," Godfrey said.

"I actually walked out onto the tarmac and I could smell it from 50 feet away, it's not pretty."

The incident came as authorities were under criticism for jailing a 22-year-old British tourist for making a drunken remark to a friend about hijacking aboard a New Year's Day domestic flight.

An appeals court eventually freed the tourist, Thomas Lilico, on Wednesday after he spent two weeks in jail.

Australia has been on a nationwide terrorism alert since November, when the government said it had "credible" information the country could be targetted by Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda group. - Sapa-AFP

the wizard of auz
16th Jan 2003, 12:55
Hey Gunssssssss, welcome to my side.
I thought the durian was a smelly peice of gear, but didnt relise it could ground a bleeding aircraft.
In Singapore they have great big notices Durian are not to be transported on this train/bus/taxi . It taste great but smells like sh!t.......literally. :D

captain69
16th Jan 2003, 22:22
Hey Guns,
Excuse my ignorance but what the hell is a Tassies?

Oh how I miss those balmy Mogadishu sunsets with the distant (sometimes close) sound of AK, RPG and mortor fire.

hoss
17th Jan 2003, 08:19
G'day Capt.69er,

Hope you had a fantastic festive season, check your inbox :) .

Mogadishu sunsets, not as hardcore as Broome sunsets buddy ;) .

Safe flying, hoss

Gunship
19th Jan 2003, 11:11
Lo Capt69.

Tassies is a well kept secret. :D But let me introduce it to you on your next visit to SA.
Tassies is a very common and very cheap wine in SA ($1 for a liter). People think because is is cheap it is cr@p. Just the opposite is true. It is actually made fom all the remains of the best wineries of the CApe like KWV (which you will pay $4 and up for a bottle) so on your next visit ... try it !

Happy flying down under and sorry to hear about your bush fires :mad:

All the best down under ...
Gunns