PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Problems - Please Help

Rote 8
16th Jan 2003, 09:44
I have just purchased a new PC base unit (without a monitor). Having set up the machine with the monitor from my old PC the old monitor just blinks at me. Flashes on a white screen, then seems to switch itself off, then on again white, then back off and so on. The monitor worked fine yesterday with my old machine and I am confident that I have connected it up to the new PC correctly. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

Big thank you in advance to anyone who may be able to help.

Remmington
16th Jan 2003, 10:29
Looks like a mains power input connection fault...check your plugs or change the cable

spannersatcx
16th Jan 2003, 10:43
The refresh rate may be set too high for the old monitor! Do you see the boot screens etc, or is it just when it goes to windoz?

Rote 8
16th Jan 2003, 11:06
Remington

The monitor has an independent mains power supply (not via the base unit and works fine with my older machine) so I don’t think there is any problem there.

Spanners

I don’t have the pleasure of seeing anything at all unfortunately the monitor just switches itself on and off intermittently with a frequency of around once per second. Whilst the monitor is on all that is displayed is a blank white screen.

Thanks both for taking the time to reply and try to help me sort this out.

Agent86
16th Jan 2003, 12:03
Does the System POST (Power On Self Test) ie do you get hard drive activity and at least one beep from the system speaker.

Try starting the system without the monitor attached and hammer the del key as it starts until you hear the beep, then plug in the monitor. The system should be in the Cmos setup screen which is very basic vga output.

If this work then the problem is somewhere in the power management setup / video card interface.

I have had this problem and am still to find the fix. About to swap video cards for fault finding when I get the 'puter back (inlaws upgrade :( )

MAx

Spitoon
17th Jan 2003, 17:59
I would echo what Agent says - sounds like it could be the graphics adapter sending erroneous power down signals.