PDA

View Full Version : Hours Building and type of flying advice needed

spitfire747
10th Dec 2001, 15:24
I am a PPL with night and about 92 hours.
I like flying around but after reading the IMC book and playing with my PC Flight Sim, much prefer flying around using instruments, tracking VORs, heading to DMEs etc etc.

I want to build to 150 hours and then do the CPL/IR and i was wondering should i do my cross country hours by "looking out the window at trees and roads" or by use of VORs and DMEs with the occasional glance below out of the window to make sure of my position.

Any suggestions would help

[ 10 December 2001: Message edited by: spitfire747 ]

Matthewjharvey
10th Dec 2001, 15:29
What an astonishing idea of VFR flying you have, please don't come near Southern England on your travels unless you plan to look out the window.

spitfire747
10th Dec 2001, 15:31
i LIVE IN THE SOUTH !!!

No honestly i do mean looking out the window, just using the instruments more to navigate

Matthewjharvey
10th Dec 2001, 15:40
Spitfire 747,

I would continue to navigate through old fashioned methods for the moment. Most failures of the CPL test are due to poor visual navigation. However it is good practise to fix position using nav aids as this is also part of the test. I would recommend picking small towns/villages to try and locate when you are flying.
Finally if you can't spend 90% of your time looking out the window, take another pair of eyes along.

A and C
10th Dec 2001, 16:41
Your CPL GFT will require you to navigate without radio aids so you better get practising now , one fun way to sharpen up those visual nav skills is to enter a few air ralleys.

Also be sure to do a few trips abrord the drawback on the fuel will help to fund this and flying via the channel islands can help keep the cost down. (full tanks drawback on a PA28 is worth about £50)

[ 10 December 2001: Message edited by: A and C ]

spitfire747
10th Dec 2001, 16:41
Thanks alot will do

monkeyboy
10th Dec 2001, 16:42
Spitty, I've sent you an email as I'm in a similar situation.

Hope you don't mind the intrusion?

Rgds

MB :)

spitfire747
11th Dec 2001, 14:28
thanks everyone

4g_handicap
11th Dec 2001, 22:09
Spitfire747,

I think you will find that when you pass your Instrument Rating course and presumably start using your new skills you will most probably fly on instruments for the rest of your life, so rather take in the scenery and enjoy the view while you can.

I have been flying profesionally(and still can't spell) for 14 years and unfortunately cannot afford to go out and rent an aeroplane for a bit of fun flying and I miss it. In fact I am not sure I can read a map anymore :eek: (sorry Greaser, I'll try stay away from your patch of the woods) I love my job, but all the flying I do is mission orientated ie we get in the aircraft with a job to do and to do it as quickly and as cheaply as possible. However, this said it is tremedously rewarding to operate on instruments, even more so when it leads to a successful approach in difficult conditions. In fact nothing else matches up to the satisfaction level.

Anyway spend some time learning the basics- there is plenty of time for the IF.

Regards
:)

schuler_tuned
11th Dec 2001, 23:01
if flying v.f.r.; seeing and avoid means just that, "looking inside" is for reference only.
anything other, then fly quadrantanls with a r.i.s. as a minimum.
if i.m.c. rated then go for r.a.s.
as an aside, know what service you need, and you wont be suprised with what you will/ won't get.
l.a.r.s. is free for most of us, and london f.i.s. is often not the best choice.
just be aware of your enviroment, the nature of your flying, and keep safest you can at all times.