PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Blue pacific flights

AViON calling!!
16th Jan 2003, 04:29
So DJ have announced FIJI as their first international destination.

Can anyone tell me if they will utilise their current domestic cabin crew on their international operations or hire crew specifically for international, as this may involve a new award and conditions for existing crew. It is probably much easier to have 2 separate awards, 1 for domestic and 1 for international. This is what Ansett had in place when they commenced international operations, separate crew for both as they were employed by their respective separate companies. From what I have read, Virgin Blue will operate as "Pacific Blue" (or another name, but not Virgin Blue). Will "Pacific Blue" be a subsiduary of Virgin Blue?

As the flight times to the proposed destinations are short, ie. BNE-NAN about 4 hrs, sometimes less will the crew be overnighting? I wouldn't think so as I know Fiji return would fit into any EBA that was negotioated. Same goes for most pacific destinations. I used to operate BNE-NAN-BNE, SYD-NAN-SYD and it was all in a days work, in fact we operated Bali flights from BNE, SYD, MEL which were longer and still a turn around. I'd be interested to hear.

AViON calling!!
16th Jan 2003, 07:27
New 'pad', whats that? Where is that?

AViON calling!!
16th Jan 2003, 17:56
Oh is that all, I knew that. Cant see what difference that makes .

Layova_Rova
27th Jan 2003, 00:32
If i am not mistaken, Qantas S/H donot fly to NZ...
NZ is regularly serviced by 747...and 767-300....
I thought that QF International CC were only trained on baord these aircrafts...
If i am wrong i apologise...
can someone please shead some light on this??!!

Cheers
Mike

leemo
27th Jan 2003, 00:44
Hi Layova_Rova,

Short Haul crew do fly into New Zealand - Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and for a few months of the year, Queenstown.

We either operate on the 767-200/300 or one of the 737 aircraft.

Long haul crew take either the 767 or 747's into NZ.

Leemo-S/H Sydney

qfmike737
27th Jan 2003, 10:34
The QF short haul crew do fly to New Zealand and other places like Noumea on 737s.

I also know the short haul crew work on other carriers. Not only that the Qantas catering eg cuttlery/food/glasses and trays and pilots also work on other carriers doing short haul to NZ and places in the pacific. I'm not definately sure what they were...I think it may be Air Pacific/Polynesia/Air Vanuatu. I'm not definately sure which ones they were or if it was all of them. I'll try and find out asap!

Regards

Mikey!

Big Hairy Potatoes
28th Jan 2003, 04:46
AC I have'nt seen anywhere an official announcment that Fiji is to be the first international destination, who did you hear this from. It is not listed on VB's website and they aren't forward selling it yet.
From what I can ascertain,domestic crew will be flying international routes for now as they are staying with 737's therefore no extra training etc