View Full Version : RAF TV Advert

bootscooter
15th Jan 2003, 22:18
Just seen the new ad....not too bad IMHO, and certainly better than the last effort! Still not a patch on the supply drop/eastern european thing of a few years ago, though.

JohnB
16th Jan 2003, 08:45
Agree better than the last efforts.

Great subliminal message for a certain trade..... 'Move it....Move it' ...running through the as well.

:D

solotk
16th Jan 2003, 13:23
Still not a patch on the latest Army advert though :D

Tourist
16th Jan 2003, 16:10
Its quite good and very apt in my opinion.
It shows an RAF bloke trying very hard and failing to get over a wall that he could easily walk around.
You could have a follow up from the Army showing an Army Bloke succesfully climbing over the wall that he could easily walk around, and a Navy Bloke ignoring the wall and going to the pub!:D

DuckDogers
16th Jan 2003, 16:51
Getting better but still not in the same league as the RAAF ones though!

And i suppose for the TA a video of them guarding boring places like Sizewell or Heathrow, or look at me i'm a weekend warrior!

solotk
16th Jan 2003, 18:12
Or a TA video showing them on FTRS Ops in Kosovo, Bosnia, and just about everywhere else the regular Army goes?

The Weekend Warrior image is outdated. Regular forces are now too stretched to keep that jurrasic mindset, especially as a fair amount of manning on Ops, or Spudside comes from FTRS and RRS personnel....

Vortex Thing
18th Jan 2003, 04:48
The weekend warrior image isn't at all outdated. It's officers seem to come in two ilks.

1) either young inexperienced wannabees who couldnt hack RMAS and didnt want to get deployed away from home except when it fitted their social calendar.

2) passed over Captains now promted to Major from CVHQ or even worse MediaOpsGp(V) who pretend that they have experience of modern ops but cant even dress themselves half the time because they are about to fall of the twig.

I wouldn't even follow them out of curiosity. I have met some SNCOs thought who have been thouroughly impressive and I am not saying that their is a lack of trying to be professional. Unfortunately all the charm in the world gets good CVs but still doesn't get the job done.

The reason that regular forces are overstretched is because this country is going soft and because for all the moaning nothing ever gets done by those politicans well above my pay grade. They mercilessley commit us to tasks for which we are under resourced and then moan when the good people quit

Suggest that those ever so useful FTRS types stop having thier cake and eating it. Its not about getting more medals to show to your friends at mess functions it is meant to be about honour, professionalism, ability, duty and getting the result.

So stop banging on about the TA and if your so wonderful get your arse in the grass and get some trigger time in reg style and take the bad bits as opposed to the bits that you feel like doing.

The game is afoot.... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Jimlad
19th Jan 2003, 19:06
thats not very valid. I do FTRS now simply because I have the time, I can't go Reg for reasons that I have no intention of going into, but I am not alone. Many of us find we have time to give a relatively short stretch to the forces but for many many reasons cant go regular - age, family, finance etc. How about you appreciate those of us who give as much as we can to the regs rather than slagging us off?

solotk
20th Jan 2003, 23:59
Looks like after today, we'll get all the trigger time we could desire Vortex.

...and there are plenty of ex-regs in the TA, even in the AAC, I'm sure they do a dynamite job.

And if this is going to be a Stabs V Arabs discussion, should we do it over on the other means?