PDA

View Full Version : Need help speeding up my Ethernet.

cyclops camel
15th Jan 2003, 14:45
I have just connected to broadband using a new laptop over a LAN. My computer has a 10/100 ethernet card built in. Connection speed is 512kbps but I am still only getting 14kbps when I run a test, and it is obviously slow.
An FO I was flying with suggested something in my route directory requires changing. Something about "packages" of data sent being too small, thus slowing everything down.
Has anyone got any tips?
Cheers, CC.

BlueRobin
16th Jan 2003, 14:47
Hypothetically, small packets can slow things down. Don't know much about broadband per se, but I'd start by looking to make sure your ip is loaded okay and fiddle with the hardware config on your network card i.e. not irqs etc but the properties, e.g. flow control, media type etc.

Unique (to you) problems are hard to solve through such a medium as this board. Anyway, if your FO knows what the problems is, get him/her round our house to fix it! ;)

EGLD
19th Jan 2003, 19:14
Hi

Can you test the speed from another computer attached to the LAN to see if its your laptop or not?

Are you using an ethernet router or a computer with internet connection sharing?

Are you using a wireless network card in your laptop?

Cheers

RadarContact
19th Jan 2003, 21:42
Try to re-install the Network adapter drivers, if it isn't too much trouble. Helped me enable the 100MBit connnection. Although at a good 10MBit you still should be getting better tranfer rates than 14K...

Btw, was the 14 KBit or KB (as in Byte) ?

Your browser or download manager usualy give the speed in KBytes, which equal 8 KBits each...

DistantRumble
20th Jan 2003, 10:12
I would be expecting Internet Explorer D/L speeds of 55-64 K/s

( = 64 * 8 = 512 *1024 baud )

Do not alter your MTU size (this is the packet size that people were talking about. - stands for max. transmission unit ie the number of bytes that TCP will max bucket at one go AFAIR)

As someone else says check your local Ethernet connectivity.
an FTP Xfer should give 1000-1280K from a decent fileserver

Use Ping Plotter (shareware) to monitor hop times.

What are you using to monitor your connection speed anyway ?

where did you get 14KB/s

and note that K = 1024 and not 1000

cyclops camel
20th Jan 2003, 10:51
Thanks everybody. My old laptop is getting 300kbps through an ethernet card in the PCMCIA slot. The new laptop through the same connection is getting only 14.
The laptops are not running together - I pull the plug on one to connect the other.
All speed testing done through the test facility at www.bandwidth.com.

DistantRumble
20th Jan 2003, 17:19
what's the PCMCIA card type.

What kind of laptop

what OS

if using win 2k try netdiag at command line.

Get the drivers from the web and try the card diagnostics.

try the new card in old laptop.

try back 2 back cable between the two laptops for speed test.

Capt. Horatio Slappy !!
24th Jan 2003, 12:54
Hi !

Suggest you use www.pcpitstop.com to check bandwidth and other computer related issues, excellent website and you may check ping times, upload and download speeds at this site.
Windows is not normally optimally configured for high-speed bandwidth, however, you should be getting speeds far in excess of what you have reported even with default windows settings.
Sounds like a network driver needs reloading or your ethernet adapter is faulty.
One thing you can do to ensure your settings are not completely out of whack is to download Tweakmaster, www.tweakmaster.com, 30 day free trial, sufficient for you to at least see if your settings are at fault.

Good Luck !

Per ardua ad ancientus wifeus !