PDA

View Full Version : Second and third Languages

austhai
15th Jan 2003, 11:23
I am an Australian teaching English at a high school in Thailand.
Many of my final year students want but be cabin crew members in the future...Thai is their first language...English is their second language... Can you advise as to what would be the best third language for these students.....They are considering French or Spanish but I feel these languages no longer carry much credit throughout the world in the 2000's.
These students will mainly be applying with Asian airlines.
Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Regards, Terry

IFTB
15th Jan 2003, 13:13
Austhai,

Totally depends on what routes their future airline will fly. But do not forget that a large part of the world communicates in Spanish.
I would advise Spanish as a can't go wrong language, unless they know they will visit a particular area of the world regular and should opt for the common language there.

Now if the Thai can get to grips with Spanish sounds is another thing. Having lived in BKK for a number of years myself I would doubt that the Thai will be able to get their tongue around the Spanish pronounciations.

taba
15th Jan 2003, 14:21
In a way I don't think it would matter too much.Carriers like EK or QR would be happy with English and Thai so long as the english is very good. But French would help with these two carriers as they both go to Paris!

Again for the asian carriers I can't see there being much problem over which third language...either would look good!!

AViON calling!!
16th Jan 2003, 03:19
I agree,

Having fluency in English is probably the most important skill as they already have their native language to offer. Carriers like CX hire crew from all over Asia with different languages but they all have one thing in common, English. Of course another Asian or European language would be beneficial but depends on the airline they choose to work for. Do they wish to work for an airline who solely wants them for their language skills (in this case probably only doing Thai flights.
As far as Eurpoean languages go I would suggest German, French, Dutch or Spanish.

ferris
16th Jan 2003, 04:46
What about Arabic? Thai is increasing capacity to these parts. Or Chinese. Big growth market.

AViON calling!!
16th Jan 2003, 05:20
I was going to suggest Arabic but this never seems to be a language required by even the Arabian airlines such as Emirates, Gulf, Qatar, Oman, Kuwait. Is this because they hire enough of their nationals to fill that requirement?

flyblue
16th Jan 2003, 09:44
I think that Chinese is a very popular one now. I have the intention of starting it too.