PDA

View Full Version : Low carb diet and initial class 1 medical

whirlycopter
15th Jan 2003, 10:36
Does anyone know if following a low carb diet involving putting the body into ketosis will endanger passing the class 1 medical?

Thanks

Bodie
15th Jan 2003, 13:08
I can't really give you a full answer. I watched a program a few weeks ago about low carb diets on ITV. The overall impression was that it left people feeling washed out , lethargic and 'headachy'. However, if you’re already on such a diet, then only you will know how you feel.

I don't imagine such symptoms would help during the medical. In particular, I would imagine undergoing the hyperventilation tests would be even worse than normal (not an experience I like to undergo anyway).

There are also blood tests to consider too. I am sure some doctors out there must know! I am interested in hearing their views on this one too.

Bodie

QDMQDMQDM
17th Jan 2003, 09:14
If you're truly ketotic, which occurs after about three days with minimal or no carbs in the diet, that will show up as an abnormality on the urine test.

QDM

whirlycopter
17th Jan 2003, 10:44
Thanks for the responses foks.

Sounds like Mothers Pride is going to have a bumper week just proir to the medical!

Cheers

allan1
14th Feb 2003, 14:58
As a holder of a class 1 medical who has lost almost 100lbs on a low carb diet I can tell you that there should be no problem with your medical . I have been maintaining a low (no) carb diet for almost 18 months and have completed three medicals with no issues with the urine test. However, I should add that if you are on a low carb diet, the prevention to any kidney issues such as ketosis is DRINK WATER. Lots of it. Long term problems with the kidneys as a result of a low carb diet are usually associated with low water consumption. Drink 8 or more 8 oz glasses of water a day (more if you work out).

Good luck.

Dan Winterland
16th Feb 2003, 17:07
On the other hand, a mate who tried this diet ended up with a irregular heartbeat as a result. Grounded for about 18 months!

Flyin'Dutch'
21st Feb 2003, 22:59
Hi Allan1,

Well done for that but it is not correct that you can combat all the effects of the low carb diet by just drinking.

As a result of the 'lack' of carbohydrates you will burn off fat tissue and generate the ketones.

You can only stop that by increasing the intake of carbohydrates.

FD