PDA

View Full Version : System Clock

The Scarlet Pimpernel
15th Jan 2003, 09:30
Recently I've noticed that my system clock is beginning to lose time to the tune of about 5mins per day. Is this indicative of a more sinister problem or has it just turned into a crap clock overnight??

BlueRobin
15th Jan 2003, 09:36
A common problem...You could try replacing the dry cell battery on the mainboard, if there is one, or downloading one of the many time synch programs on the net.

brockenspectre
15th Jan 2003, 10:01
I use a free program I downloaded from World Time Server (http://www.worldtimeserver.com) called Atomic Clock Synch.

As I have a firewall installed I can confirm that this program would not appear to be any kind of trojan and since installation a year ago my computer remains within a few seconds!

Prior to that, because I seem to have many programs starting at StartUp (and have yet to figure out how to stop em doing so) it was using a lot of memory and this, apparently, can have an effect on one's puter clock.

If, also, despite synching time from time to time, there continues to be a significant loss of time it might be your puter battery! Others, more expert than I, can tell you how to replace that - I am dreading the day I have to fiddle with the innards of my puter LOL fitting memory chips and CD ROM drives is one thing but removing the battery ... I shudder to think !!! :D

PPRuNe Pop
15th Jan 2003, 13:10
Changing the battery on your motherboard couldn't be more simple.

First rule is to have a look at where it sits - usually in a corner away from the high voltage end and away from the PCI and AGP slots. Its usually about the size of between a 20p and 10p coin. Identify its number, then pop into your local pooter shop - or any other outlet.

WITHOUT any power on!!!!!!! lift the holding spring take one out and pop the other one in. Tis done!

PPP

The Scarlet Pimpernel
15th Jan 2003, 15:46
Thanks guys...I'll give a battery change a go cos a) it may solve the problem, and b) I've not had a go at changing one like this before!
My 'pooter is getting on a bit, so I suppose things need replacing from time to time

UK-Kiwi
19th Jan 2003, 20:51
brockenspectre

If you want to find whats starting up, then if it's not in the Start Menu \ Programs \ start up folder, then it's in the registry under a key called run.

Word of warning, stuff up the registry and the computer could need a complete re-install.

run a program called regedit, search for "run", match the entire string otherwise it will find dozens and take forever.
When you find it chances are there are a whole heap of entries there commanding different exe's to run, you'll normally recognise what they are as the file path will give it away.
I often go in and delete out entires under "run" but First!!!! export the registry key in case anything you delete causes the system to mis-behave, that way you can add it back in.

This is real simple to play with the run key as it's not anything to do with the operating system, but using regedit it a great way to really destroy your software if you muck anything up, follow my advise at your own risk :)

Cheers

outofsynch
19th Jan 2003, 21:43
Better still, I use a program called 'Startup Manager'.

Its excellent at searching for all those settings, and then providing a great menu of things to enable/disable at will.

Couldnt be simpler! :D