PDA

View Full Version : accountants please.....

sam711
15th Jan 2003, 09:25
If i was working in the aviation industry flying, then left that job to do an instructor rating, THEN got a new job flying elsewhere would it be tax deductible? Or do you need to still be working in the industry whilst training?:confused:

FBD
15th Jan 2003, 14:15
Without having the current legislation in front of me, educational expenses are only deductible as they relate to your current employment. As you are talking about getting the rating whilst unemployed I believe the answer to your question is that it won't be deductible.

Regardless, I'm not sure whether any aviation training would be deductible?

ferris
16th Jan 2003, 04:36
There are specific rulings about self ed, and every case is different, however; you must be currently employed to claim self ed. Ed undertaken between jobs fails this test.
Search the ATO site. There are several rulings which are near identical to your situation.

FBD
16th Jan 2003, 09:09
sactaf is right with what he says about claiming a deduction but as myself and Ferris have stated, you must be in current employment directly related to your study at the time you are studying in order for the deduction to be eligble.