PDA

View Full Version : D U N

roach
14th Jan 2003, 20:43
Every time I start my computer ( W98, IE6, 300Mhz, 198RAM ) the DUN page appears automatically. I know there must me a way of stopping this as it did not always happen and I don't know what I did to start it!
Thanks

ratsarrse
14th Jan 2003, 20:59
Something is trying to access the web when you start up your computer.

It could be some kind of spyware that has installed itself or has been unwittingly invited onto your computer. Real Player is notorious for doing this.

Try getting adaware. Go here for more info:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

stickyb
15th Jan 2003, 07:29
Do you use Zone Alarm?
Their last software upgrade also caused this too happen - ZoneAlarm now phones home at startup, most annoying

timmcat
15th Jan 2003, 10:59
Click start - run, type msconfig, hit enter and click the Startup tab. See what applications are being run at boot, look for any suspicious ones and disable one by one, re-booting each time - trial and error should then at least point to the errant application.

Tim

phnuff
15th Jan 2003, 12:07
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you use Zone Alarm?
Their last software upgrade also caused this too happen - ZoneAlarm now phones home at startup, most annoying
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does ZoneAlarm really phone home at start up ?? Which version (and free or pro)

BOAC
17th Jan 2003, 16:05
Maybe being a tad TOO simple, here, roach, but what settings have you in IE under 'Tools/Internet Options/Connections? If you have 'Always dial' or 'Dial whenever...' and IE starts at boot up too, DUN will appear and start to dial.

Basic (free) Zone Alarm has an option under 'overview' to AUTOMATICALLY check for updates.

stickyb
17th Jan 2003, 17:04
The recent update ( a couple of months ago) to the free ZoneAlarm product introduced this feature. I complained to the makers, as did a lot of other people. Got a long run around from their service people, and eventually uninstalled the product for the time being.