PDA

View Full Version : Eros - closed to international traffic

BAKELA
14th Jan 2003, 14:04
Can anybody shed more light on the apparent closure of Eros airport (Windhoek in Namibia) to international traffic.

Apparently a Namibian Cabinet decision with support from Air Namibia. Wonder why?

Skaz
14th Jan 2003, 16:01
Scuttlebut has it that it is being closed due to pressure by the Americans (who else). Pax who embark on Airlink / Express flights to Cpt do not undergo a very thorough Security screening, at all.

These pax might board a direct flight from Cpt to USA, not undergoing any furhter security checks in the airside of the terminal in Cpt.

Fairly easy to understand that bit. The Air Nam bit....hmmm, I'm sure they would not mind having the lion's share of seats to CPt and Jhb and no pesky little aerolanes flying into Eros stealing their revenue...

Mind you, this is for International, Commercial Passenger carrying flights only, freight & charters excluded. I think:D

14th Jan 2003, 20:52
The main reason for stopping scheduled traffic in and out of Eros is to protect Air Namibia as they are throwing money faster down the toilet than what the taxpayer can replenish the coffers. At this stage the ban includes freighters. A few folks are desperatly worried about the freight part as a lot of money stands to be lost if the flights have to now fly to WDH instead and then ferry to Eros empty!! Go figure.....

BAKELA
16th Jan 2003, 10:52

I too reckon it's Air Namibia behind it. Apparently (source in CPT) they carry less pax on WDH-CPT than what Airlink's E135's carry on ERS-CPT. Of course Air Namibia, SAA and Comair will benifit if all ops are to be out of WDH. Are the 'mainline' carriers maybe into something against the regional/feeders here?

I also heard that Express is limited to only 25 pax into/out off ERS with the CRJ 200, irrespective of WX conditions. Any CRJ drivers out there to comment on this? I know of no airline that will commence ops knowing max achievable load factor will be only 50%.