PDA

View Full Version : Controlled Airspace

Xnr
13th Jan 2003, 21:09
Lets talk airspace....how do you know IFR if you are in contolled airspace or if you are below it?

How do you really know?

Hansard
13th Jan 2003, 21:54
By ensuring that you've set the correct pressure setting on the altimeter subscale, by checking your altitude against the airspace delineations on your chart and by knowing where you are geographically...........or have I misunderstood the question?

Xnr
13th Jan 2003, 23:42
You have been cleared GPS direct.....not on an airway.....must you pull out a VFR chart to find out the airspace classification?

heedm
14th Jan 2003, 02:40
yes

Since there is a filter to save bandwidth that prohibits short responses, I must expand.

When you're cleared direct it is up to you, not ATC, to ensure terrain clearance, restricted airspace avoidance, and ensure proper flight rules are followed. To know all of those three you must refer to maps and charts.

Jez
14th Jan 2003, 04:45
Do you hold an instrument rating because if you do, you might need a checkride!

If any of my pilots asked me that question while doing a base check I reckon I would ground them.

DME (or GPS), radial (or bearing) and altitude coupled with a current chart will tell you if you are in controlled airspace -- or did I read the question wrong as well??:confused:

Xnr
14th Jan 2003, 11:34
In Canada on a LO chart controlled airspace below 12500 is depicted in white.....is the base of that controlled airspace( except for terminal areas and control zones) always 2200' AGL? ....

donut king
14th Jan 2003, 19:02
No!

As per your Canadian charts, some controlled airspace have bases as low as 700 agl....class E.

And yes, read off a VFR chart.

When IMC and unsure.... I would just ask ATC how low their control extends.

D.K

P.S...... sounds like a checkride question to me!!!!!

Xnr
14th Jan 2003, 19:58
A chat with boys at ATC indicate that it is not quite that simple and the Designated Airspace Handbook must also be referenced.

Lets face it ....this is a problem that does not concern many of our fixed wing counterparts.....they are rarely looking for the lowest useable altitude....and for the operation I am involved with the lowest useable altitude varies by 1000' whether we are in controlled or uncontrolled airspace off airways.

Here is a link......http://ats.nrcan.gc.ca/english/ATS_dah_e.html

Jez

I'll take that into consideration. Thanx