PDA

View Full Version : Colour Perception tests in a Class 1 Medical

themoffster
13th Jan 2003, 15:41
A few years ago (5 1/2) I sat the tests for the RAF. In the medical I failed the "lantern" test as the guy called it. (Two holes in a box and I had to say what colours they were), although I had passed the flick-book test (what number do you see...).

I was told that that was me, but I asked if I could stay around just for the interviews anyway as I had travelled so far, they let me and I went home, but a month or so later I was accepted for a scholarship - I was shocked to say the least, as I thought I had failed the colour perception.

Anyways, what is the standard - is it the flick-book test (that I passed), or is it the "lantern" test (that I failed) in a class 1 medical?

It's stopped me ever persuing a pilots career.

Cheers

EGPFlyer
13th Jan 2003, 16:25
From the CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/med/default.asp?page=537) website :

You will be tested for normal colour vision with Ishihara Test Plates (a series of numbers outlined by different coloured dots easily seem by someone with normal colour vision). If you fail these you will need to pass an approved lantern test (a series of coloured lights that you have to identify correctly) in order to gain a JAR Class 1 certificate.

Hope this helps.

themoffster
13th Jan 2003, 16:32
Thanks very much.

That old b***ard taking the test cost me the oppertunity to be an RAF pilot just now :mad: .

The git even told me I had passed the flick-book test!

Drekly
15th Jan 2003, 10:56
Sadly the RAF is a different cup of tea to the CAA. I did 12 years fast jet then moved to civil aviation. As anyone who has or is about to do this will tell you the CAA give little credit for military service.
Treat each of them as completely different and you won't make assumptions that what goes for one also applies to the other.

buzzc152
20th Jan 2003, 14:40
I failed the coloured dots test with the RAF when I went for selection.... wasn't ever offered the latern test though. I was awarded a scholarship a few years ealier and accepted for UAS a year or so after that.

I now have a full CAA class 1 medical. I think the RAF need to get a coherant policy together on colour vision. When I failed the medical I felt a bit sorry for myself but shrugged my shoulders and carried on with life in the knowledge that there was nothing I could do about it. Now though it seems that perhaps I should not have failed RAF selection on the grounds of colour vision.

Oh well, some airline will one day benefit from a wonderful asset the RAF could have had....... me.