PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Atlantic Interview

Disko Biscuit
13th Jan 2003, 12:22
Hi All

I've an interview for Virgin Atlantic in Feb and would really like some real honest advice.

I've just done a 'search' on Virgin Atlantic in the forum which has led to some interesting reading ("VS are cr*p"and VS are okay" threads) but still really none the wiser. The general feeling is that Virgin are perhaps not the best airline to work for but is that because it is more fun to spread bad news than good?

At the end of the day I'm 24, have a mortgage to pay (would really like to know how much I can expect NET a month now as I don't want to harp on about that too much at the interview) and am sooo fed up of working in an office. I have a few friends that are FA's for BA and various other airlines who said that they thought I would be great. Can you really have a career at Virgin in the long run?

I'm not naive by all means. I'll go for the interview regardless but just want some advice before I get brainwashed at Crawley

Many thanks

:D

mystic voyager
13th Jan 2003, 16:58
Hi Disko Biscuit

There will always be good and bad points working for any company. People will always be quick to pass on judgement about airlines.

On the one side you do work for your money. I am not going to pretend to you that it is easy, but on the plus side you will get to fly to some fantastic places and meet some fabulous people. You can expect to earn around £750 after tax and don't forget you will have your allowances on top of that. Your allowances will be paid to you upon arrival at your hotel in local currency. On an average month you could complete up to six flights, bringing your monthly wage up to approx £1,300.

On a typical east coast flight (LHR to EWR) you would get £95. It is really up to you if you save it or spend it. I used to blow all my allowances when I first started flying.

What more can I say but come along for the interview and work out for yourself if Virgin is really for you.

Hope this helps and good luck. :) :cool: :cool:

High as a Kite
13th Jan 2003, 21:21
I agree with the comments made by Mystic Voyager.

At the end of the day it is part of human nature to complain. I have worked for Virgin Atlantic for almost six years and if I wasn't happy, I would have left a long time ago.

On a financial level, I have a mortgage, car etc etc and I'm not broke.

Perhaps if you think you will get brainwashed then you have already made up your mind.

Disko Biscuit
14th Jan 2003, 09:48
Thanks very much guys

I was only joking about the 'brainwashing' comment. :D

It's nice to hear some postitive comments for a change - any tips for the interview?

irishcc
14th Jan 2003, 09:49
Hi Guys,

Just enquiring about the format of the Virgin Interview ?

Is it all completed in a "day - long" exercise ?

What are the various tasks to expect ?

And do Virgin make their decision purely on your "performance" at the interview stage, or do they count previous experience ?

Any help is greatly appreciated !!

FCNK
14th Jan 2003, 11:27
from my experience of the virgin interview, if there are ie. 12 of you attending the group session then only 2 or 3 are selected for a 2 on 1 interview where as other airlines select an unspecified number candidates for a 2 on 1 if their suitable.

lefrancaoui
14th Jan 2003, 16:10
Er... can someone confirm the salary. £1300 a month sounds awfully low ;)

High as a Kite
14th Jan 2003, 21:40
Disko Biscuit,

I thought you were joking about the "brainwashing" comment. My reply was supposed to be a bit tongue in cheek but having read it again it doesn't really come across that way! :eek:

The initial interview includes group exercises to check out everybodys teamworking skills.

Some of the tasks were:-

- make up a short jingle for a radio advert
- complete a crossword together
- ask each other questions (favourite colour, most embarrasing
moment etc)

Four people were selected to go through to the next stage.

We then had to complete a short Maths test as well as have our height and weight checked.

In the afternoon we came back for the 2 to 1 interview.

Hope this helps. Good luck everybody!

P.S. lefrancaoui - £1300 per month is about right. We don't do it for the money, we do it for the love. ;)

Disko Biscuit
15th Jan 2003, 08:47
High as a Kite - thanks for your tips. I'll have to start listening to some commercial radio to get some 'jingle' ideas! :D

lefrancaoui - if that's £1300 an month 'take home' pay (which I hope it is) then that's not too bad, is it? I work 40 hours a week bored out of my skull in London for similar and I certainely don't do that for love! As long as I can still afford a few glasses of vino I'll be a happy woman ;)

Tomb Raider
15th Jan 2003, 20:13
Disko,
I don't want to put a downer on your aspirations,far from it.If it's what you want to do,then go for it.But I think it is important to face some harsh facts and not to perhaps paint the financial side as glossy as has been made out.

I don't work for Virgin,but I have shared houses with VS crew and my ex lodger was a VS hostie,so I do have knowledge of their pay etc.

£700-750 take home is accurate.(the first hostie I shared with was taking home £525......this was 4 yrs ago though)

This "basic" is really all you can safely rely upon.Don't forget,if you are sick,or on leave/holiday,or need time off for medical reasons or whatever,you will NOT earn any allowances.This is the same for any airline!

Also bear in mind that the allowances you receive in the hotel are not just for your pleasure....you need to feed and water yourself from these.As you'll be new,you won't want to sit in your hotel room and save your dosh,you'll want to SEE some on the great places you stay at.And SHOPPING! I'm yet too meet a hostie(any female for that matter)who can walk around a shopping mall without spending any money,especially in the USA.
People who fly don't do it because they love being on aircraft,they want to have fun,see some of the world and enjoy the time there.This costs.

My ex lodger very rarely did 6 trips in a month,so I think that £1300 per month is at the max and very infrequent.Don't forget you are paid in LOCAL currency.Your allowances will be peanuts in certain countries(not literally of couse,but you get my meaning)

If money is no issue to you,then fine,but I noticed you had a mortgage and it may be a consideration.My ex lodger had a second job on her days off to make ends meet as the basic would not cover her living expenses(she had expensive taste,mind)
As I say,I don't want to put you off.. just be prepared! I have seen good friends get into awful trouble financially because they thought they were going to earn more than they actually did.Better to be pessimistic than optimistic in this case.

I would just say that I think VS guys and gals are great and that they have some of the best people in the industry working for them....so if you are reading this Mr Branson...pay them what they are worth!!I think they are worth TWICE the pittance you seem to think they are worth.At the very least,bring them in line with the rest of the industry,it can't be much fun for your crew to be at the bottom of the pay league looking up!!
Rant over...good luck Disko.

Disko Biscuit
16th Jan 2003, 09:35
Tomb Raider - thanks very much for your comments.

I totally understand that your not trying to 'dampen' my spirits and I really do appreciate your honesty. It's good to get a broad range of views. The comment about woman and shopping - spot on! :D

Thanks again for your time in replying! :)

lefrancaoui
19th Jan 2003, 17:50
I was just wondering if anyone working for Virgin could give me some info on schedules. I would like to see my wife more often, so was wondering,if we both work with Virgin (me as pilot and she as flight attendant) would it be possible for us to do our flights together?

High as a Kite
19th Jan 2003, 22:03
There is quite a long waiting list for compatible rosters, although it is possible to swap trips if you can find a willing colleague.

Your wife would be required to fly on all fleets (B744, A343, A346).

It would of course be possible to do some flights together.

aeroflirt
20th Jan 2003, 19:41
Do they still make you try on the uniform before the interview or is that an urban myth. I have yet to see an unattractive V crew member. They always look beautifully groomed and slim and never unattractive . The punters who choose to fly with my airline are always having a dig because our crew don't look quite so glam. Let's face it , it does pull in the businessmen , although whether I'd want them ogling me as I sashay up the aisle is debatable.

nojacketsrequired
20th Jan 2003, 22:25
Many great crew at Virgin and I wish you all luck....

See you at the truck.

NJR.

ww.worldairlinephotography.co.uk

mystic voyager
23rd Jan 2003, 12:16
Some very interesting comments made about VS.

Like High as a Kite has previously said, we are not with Virgin Atlantic for the money.

There are always the questions of how much would we earn in a typical month. Well, to be totally honest every month is different. Currently four of our routes that we fly to the allowances are paid in local currency.

With regards to the interview process, this has recently changed. You no longer have to do a jingle. I work for Virgin Atlantic in the cabin crew training department and have asked all the new initial crew and they have said that it is now not asked for by the interviewers.

They will look for evidence of team work and leadership qualities, but please don't come across as too assertive.

My advice would be to go along for the interview and make the most of it.

Good Luck, everyone. (MV)

Disko Biscuit
23rd Jan 2003, 12:45
Thanks MV.

Although I'm sure I will be as nervous as hell I'm actually quite looking forward to the interview, which some may say is quite tragic :) but it will definitely make for an interesting day. I'll just do my best and try my hardest to make it to the 2 to 1 interview.

Is the training and recruitment depts. the natural career progession for crew at Virgin? Do you still fly at all if needed?

High as a Kite
23rd Jan 2003, 17:31
areoflirt - trying on the uniform used to be part of the interview process but it isn't now.

Disko Biscuit - in my opinion you can plan your own career path and the company will support it. I have worked in quite a few different departments and my career so far has not followed a conventional route! The logical progression through the flying ranks would be Junior, Senior, Purser and Inflight Supervisor. There are many office based roles available including Cabin Crew Training. Best of luck with your interview.

NJR - I think "The Truck" is great. I was there on Christmas Day!!