PDA

View Full Version : No more First Class to LAX?

Rich-Fine-Green
12th Jan 2003, 22:51
Anyone from Qantas heard anything about future changes on the USA flights?

1. No more First class to LAX - just a 'spruced up' Business class?.

2. Introduction/change of 747-400 to 747-300 on Australia - USA routes?.

Groaner
12th Jan 2003, 22:59
Doubt -300 would make it without a stop.

Rich-Fine-Green
12th Jan 2003, 23:07
How 'bout the -300 on the BNE-AKL-LAX run?

ftrplt
12th Jan 2003, 23:51
the 300's have already been filling holes AKL-LAX over the last few months.

Groaner
13th Jan 2003, 00:01
Last I checked, AKL wasn't part of Australia...

Or has there been a change of politics recently that I missed??!:p

RamAirTurbine
13th Jan 2003, 01:04
Well all you have every really paid for is a first class seat - first class service, for that matter second and third class service doesn't exist on Qantas.

...o wait a minute thats a bitter a twisted view.... oh well

:)

thank you please come again :D

1A_Please
13th Jan 2003, 01:22
QF are keeping P class on all US services except BNE-AKL-LAX.

QF are removing P class from about half their 744 fleet, (all the older 744s including Wunala Dreaming which was converted to 2 class in AKL last month). These two class 744s will be used on routes that have traditionally not had sufficient P class demand. These include JNB, ROM, AKL as well as the BNE-AKL-LAX service. QF's 743s are due for an interior revamp (new seats, new J class and PTVs later this year. Once complete the 2 class 744s and the 743s will be configured identically and will be used on similar routes include some domestic routes (eg SYD-PER and SYD-CNS).

P class will remain on the MEL-LAX-(ORD) and SYD-LAX(-JFK) services and these routes will typically be served by the new 744ERs. The newer 744s such as the GE powered ones will remain 3 class and will be used on routes to LHR and HKG.

18-Wheeler
13th Jan 2003, 02:23
A 747-300 will fly for the 14 hours required to go from Sydney to LA, but it'll need full fuel tanks (161 tonnes) to do it.
With 161 tonnes of fuel and being Roller powered, it'll carry only ~37 tonnes of people & freight though. :(

Rich-Fine-Green
13th Jan 2003, 02:54
Thanks to all...

1A: The -400s already changed or about to be....
Wunala Dreaming which was converted to 2 class in AKL last month)

Do they have the new 'sleeper style' Business Class seats installed?.

topend3
13th Jan 2003, 03:53
These two class 744s will be used on routes that have traditionally not had sufficient P class demand. These include JNB, ROM, AKL as well as the BNE-AKL-LAX service.

since when have QF been using there 744's into JNB - jurien Bay, i would like to see that???!!!:D

1A_Please
13th Jan 2003, 06:17
RFG

No, they still have Dreamtime J class seats. They'll need another visit into the shop to get sleeper J seats fitted late this year or early next.

The 743s currently do not have Dreamtime seats so it'll be interesting if they get them or go straight to the sleepers given their reconditioning is due to start at about the same time as the sleepers are introduced. I'm guessing they'll get Dreamtimes. The 743s are going to do a fair bit of domestic work so I can't imagine QF want domestic pax lazing about in sleepers whilst long-haul J class pax are still in Dreamtimes!!

dingo084
13th Jan 2003, 07:49
topend3

JNB is the IATA code for Johannesburg. :confused:

ding

Taildragger67
13th Jan 2003, 19:32
TopEnd3,

QF have been using 744s into JNB - that's Johannesburg - for about 6 or 7 years now.

Just can't understand why they don't then carry on to Cape Town, Jo'burg isn't the most picturesque of places...

Taildragger
13th Jan 2003, 21:59
What.!! No First Class.?? ....that's it - I just will NOT go.
Things really took a downturn when they allowed poor people to travel.

So Taildragger67 ..... can I assume that there are at least another 65 of us.??

G.Khan
14th Jan 2003, 06:55
Not sure what the potential load would be like for QANTAS if it were to extend it's JNB flight to Cape Town or Durban. In my days in SIA the SIN - JNB sector was usually pretty full but we then, (with a fresh crew), operated a shuttle to either Cape Town or Durban and the loads barely warranted a B737.

Obviously QF have a different catchment area and may get a better load factor to Cape Town etc. but it may pay them to have an agreement with SAA and save on crew, aircraft hours etc.

Just my thoughts.:)