PDA

View Full Version : Redhat Linux

Green Bottle 2
12th Jan 2003, 18:59
I have just installed Redhat Linux 8 and I have been extremely impressed. I installed it on a PC with a windows installation already present and couldn't fault the ease of installation. My previous experience of Linux was in the days when it was all done via command line.

I am new to Linux although I am an experienced computer user - predominantly windows tho. I would appreciate any top tips and advice on Linux applications to look out for.

Thanks in Advance
GB2

EI_Sparks
12th Jan 2003, 20:07
Yay, another comes over to the light side ;)

Okay, for an application list, try Google's directory of software lists (http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Software/Operating_Systems/Linux/Software_Directories/?il=1).

Mind you - redhat is great to start on, but in a year or so, when you're comfortable, you might want to consider switching to Debian - the debian package installer works better than the redhat one, in that debian gets all the packages you need to run the one you asked for, whereas redhat assumes you've gotten all of them already.

Green Bottle 2
19th Jan 2003, 20:12
EI many thanks for the link. I will spend some time looking at the software when I have chance.

Southwest, I have been too busy to get my teeth into it at the moment but I have had a quick play. I have been most impressed by its ease of use. I hope to install it on my laptop, which is my main computer, at some stage and really get my teeth into it.

From my experience so far I think Linux will be my primary OS in the next 12 months.

GB2

EI_Sparks
19th Jan 2003, 21:37
GB2, not a problem. I've been using debian as my only system for about five years now, and the only thing that's worrying me is what I'd do if I had to use windows for work ever again :D
Seriously, the machine I'm on here is the only windows one I ever use and that's only because it's on the ISDN line and my linux box's modem is playing up :( (Hardware glitch). Nothing beats mutt for email, nothing beats latex for proper document prep, and nothing I've seen matches vim for text editing :)

linuxgal
20th Jan 2003, 17:39
Best advice - find yourself a local Linux User Group (LUG) and subscribe - you will pick up plenty of tips and can post your queries. Linux users are so nuts about their OS that they love helping people get into it.
Can't say about RH8 - I'm now into SuSE - but love Kmail, StarOffice, and mcedit for editing files.
In fact mc is a great tool for lots of things. Have fun!

Mac the Knife
20th Jan 2003, 19:15
Well, if you're thinking of integrating your Linux box into a Windows network environment I've had some experience lately!! A little not too difficult tweaking involved.

See http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77514

Waaay cool! Another blow against the Evil Empire.

Green Bottle 2
20th Jan 2003, 20:05
I'll take your advice Linuxgal and find a group. I can't wait to really get my teeth into it but I'll have to wait for a bit as I'm going to be tied up for a while without access to my Linux computer.

Mac I'll take note as it may prove useful in the future

GB2:)

Out Of Trim
20th Jan 2003, 23:45
I don't know anything about Linux OS; but would very much like to learn some more and maybe take the plunge and have a dual OS system.

Where can I find out more information and get downloads etc?

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance

Out Of Trim.:)

linuxgal
21st Jan 2003, 17:59
Out of Trim,
Search google for linux - it will return over two million replies...
For a first-time user try Mandrake - it is free for download. http://www.mandrakelinux.com
Or join a LUG and ask someone to burn you copies of any distro. There are several popular distributions of Linux - Redhat, Mandrake and SuSE being the most user-friendly.