PDA

View Full Version : BA longhaul with an infant - help

gurnzee
12th Jan 2003, 18:33
we will be travelling to australia soon with a 4month old and I would like some help in answering some q's from any BA cabin crew. We have a bassinet booked in WTP so I presume that will be at a bulkhead? Is someone 'designated' to assist or is it anyone in the cabin? What brand of water is carried as we can't decide whether to take ready-made formula or powder, bottle feeding obviously! If we go the powder route, should we bring our own water or is there plenty available on board? Is there steam sterilizing facilities or would our own chemical solution be a better plan? Can bottles be heated? Can bottles be refridgerated? Any other helpful hints appreciated!:(

cwatters
12th Jan 2003, 19:55
The following is based on our experiences with two month old twin boys flying USA to Europe. (Not BA)...

>we will be travelling to australia soon with a 4month old and I
> would like some help in answering some q's from any BA cabin
> crew. We have a bassinet booked in WTP so I presume that
> will be at a bulkhead?

Don't assume there will be a bassinet on the plane even if you book one! We checked at every stage (booking, check-in desk, at the gate etc). Each time we were told yes there will be bassinets on the plane. Upon boarding the cabin crew told us that there were no bassinets on that plane and that in any case they could not even be fitted our particular bulkhead seat. Thanks to good planning we had taken the precaution of bringing our child carriers with us - the sort that clip into a base to form a rear facing car seat. We checked-in the bases and we used the carriers to transport the babies through the airport. It was also lucky that there were enough empty seats into which we could strap them. If you decide to take one of these carriers see if you can find the user guide so you an prove it's FAA/CAA approved. Otherwise they might just say you can't use it and that it has to go in the hold.

If you can afford it book an extra seat for the baby. If the flight is full they might decide you have to put the car seat in the hold and carry the baby.

Perhaps someone here can tell us a secret way to find out if a flight has empty seats in advance?

> Is someone 'designated' to assist or is it anyone in the cabin?

The crew on our long haul flight were helpful but we were well prepared so they didn't have to do much for us.

>What brand of water is carried as we can't decide whether to
> take ready-made formula or powder, bottle feeding obviously!

I would take enough water, bottles and the small sachets of powder to last the flight. (I would recommend taking the small cartons of ready mix instead of powder but can you open them without sissors?). Perhaps also take a jug to stand the bottle in and ask the crew to fill it with hot water. Our two were happy enough to drink milk that was room temp or had been held next to our skin between feeds. This meant we didn't need to wait with screaming baby while the crew heated bottles of milk.

>If we go the powder route, should we bring our own water or is
>there plenty available on board? Is there steam sterilizing
> facilities or would our own chemical solution be a better plan?

We would recommend taking enough clean bottles with you so you don't need to bother cleaning anything on the flight. At that age they only need to be the small ones.

> Can bottles be heated? Can bottles be refridgerated? Any
> other helpful hints appreciated!

The good news is that the vibration seems to help them sleep. We got our first decent nights sleep in 2 months on our first flight.

Have a good one.

Colin

[email protected] (delete all 5's for real email address)

flyingdutchman
12th Jan 2003, 20:39
We have a bassinet booked in WTP so I presume that will be at a bulkhead?

Yes.

Is someone 'designated' to assist or is it anyone in the cabin?

All crew will help out.

What brand of water is carried as we can't decide whether to take ready-made formula or powder, bottle feeding obviously!

Various brands, including Highland Spring.

If we go the powder route, should we bring our own water or is there plenty available on board?

Plenty of water onboard.

Is there steam sterilizing facilities or would our own chemical solution be a better plan?

No. You're the best judge on the second one.

Can bottles be heated?

Yes.

Can bottles be refridgerated?

Not really.

cabin secure
13th Jan 2003, 00:25
I have a young son who has travelled extensively with me since his birth.
If taking formula with you , may I suggest you take your own purified water. Most airlines carry still mineral waters in bottled form. These contain high levels of sodium and trace minerals that aren't necessarily well mixed with formula.
Still on formula excellent suggestion is to pack it in small plastic containers or resealable plastic bags, if your sachets require scissors to open them.
I have encountered difficulties with bassinet bookings also.
Ask at check in, "am I seated at a bulkhead with a bassinet fitting?"
If you find on board you are still not seated at a fixture, remembering " you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar", make eye contact with a flight attendant that is female and smiles alot. ( I can say that because I happen to be one!)
Explain your many requests to reservations and at check in and they will (mostly) attempt to move you.
I'm afraid requesting a jug of hot water for you to have at your seat to heat bottles, breaches too many occupational and health safety regs. ie: A litre of boiling water in unexpected turbulence is not a good thing. I have seen first hand the damage an adults hot coffee in the lap of an infant can do.
Flight attendants can easily heat your bottles in the galley.
Have fun and happy flying!

Call_Belle
13th Jan 2003, 09:26
Also please try to relax and enjoy the trip. Don't weigh yourself down with too much handluggage as u will only get flustered and agitated lugging it around and your baby will sense your agitation and wont be at ease either.

Psr777
13th Jan 2003, 16:52
Call_Bell has it right, there is nothing worse that trying to juggle everything at the same time!!

In my experience watching and helping families with small infants on long flights, the parents seem to forget they are supposed to be having a good time as well.

BA have two types of baby facilities that are available at bulkhead seats. One is a baby cot, so the infant lies down all the time, the other is a type of baby car seat that enables the baby to sit upright or can be tilted so it lies down.

Bring a couple of changes of clothes for the infant, some warm and some cool ones, so you can change it (sorry don't know if it is a boy or a girl), according to the cabin temperature. Don't forget to bring something light you can change into, should the little one have an accident on you.............BA will provide blankets and pillows for the infant, something less to carry.

Don't be afraid to leave your seat and take baby on a stroll around the cabin when the carts are out the way. Most of the cabin crew get real broody over babies and will almost always give you a hand with anything you need.

Ask the crew if you and your partner can eat separately, this allows one of you to look after the baby while the other gets to relax and enjoy the meal, then swap over.

BA crew will not hand hot beverages over children, so why not hang on and have a cuppa when the baby is asleep? Less worry for you as well.

When you first get on the aircraft, as you are sitting at a bulkhead seat, you will need to put everything into the overhead locker for take off and landing. You can have it down during the flight though so don't worry.

During turbulence, the infant must be taken out of the cot/seat and strapped into a seatbelt. Even if it is asleep. Not ideal for you we know, but much safer for the baby. Passengers are also not permitted to sleep on the floor of the aircraft, this includes babies.

That's all I can think of really, apart from have a great time and when you get back, drop us all a line and let us know how you got on.

:D :D :D

gurnzee
13th Jan 2003, 18:00
thanks so much all for some great tips and suggestions, esp about the scissors. I think I have been fretting un-necessarily! See you airborne!:)