PDA

View Full Version : G3 Imac to Apple Personal Laserwriter NT printer

Tosh McCaber
12th Jan 2003, 11:56
At the risk of being accused of hogging this forum- I have another question!

Last year, I made the quantum leap from AppleMac Centris to G3 Imac, complete with an HP 950 PSC 3 in 1 printer/ scanner/ copier. Since starting to use this combo, I have found that the HP running costs are almost criminally high- the per mg. costs and lifespan of its cartridges are extortionate, even compared with those which I use for my Deskjet 1120c. Also, the printer drivers, even the latest version, leave a lot to be desired in terms of speed- sometimes 10 minutes to print an A4 letter!

I still have two Apple Personal Laserwriter NT printers, with not a lot of use in them, which have given very solid and inexpensive past performance. My question is- is it possible to rig up a connection between the (I think) serial port in the back of the printer to the USB outlet on the Imac? (I've just realised that the Personal Laserwriter has of course, a Localtalk connection).

What would be required in the way of drivers? Has anyone experience of this set up?

Any assistance will be gratefully appreciated

PPRuNe Towers
13th Jan 2003, 09:25
NO shortage of serial = USB connectors around. As a little diversion from the usual type of recommendations on this forum why not try the computing section of the TESCO website - I think you'll be pleasantly suprised with the section on links and connectors.

Rob

Tosh McCaber
13th Jan 2003, 21:14
PPT,

Sorry to appear thick- I've logged on to the Tesco site, but can only find shopping sites!

Regards,

Tosh