PDA

View Full Version : Aviation authority riddled with rot

Gunship
11th Jan 2003, 23:26
Sunday Times (http://www.sundaytimes.co.za/2003/01/12/news/news11.asp)

The investigation into the country's aviation chief has lifted the lid on the often chaotic running of the Civil Aviation Authority.

The authority's main function is to promote safety and security in the skies, but on the ground, its Pretoria head office was allegedly run on "pirated" computer software. This is one of the conclusions of the forensic audit called for after allegations that the authority's CEO, Trevor Abrahams, was involved in irregularities.

Some of the findings are that:

The authority contravened Reserve Bank regulations by running its own "foreign exchange facility" without a licence;

It failed to follow financial procedures and bought goods in an "uncontrolled and ill-disciplined manner"; and

Abrahams misled the board and completely disregarded its instructions at times.

Staff who were seen to be unhappy were given handsome golden handshakes which were not budgeted for.

Lucas Dhlamini, a former general manager, received R200 000, including legal fees, in a settlement deal after he, too, lodged a case against it. Abrahams's former secretary, Nomonde Radu, got R91 000.

The Sunday Times could not reach members of the Civil Aviation Authority's board for comment yesterday, but it has been established that it has been told it should ask the police to investigate dishonesty, fraud and theft.

A company awarded a R279 000 contract may have supplied the authority with illegal or "pirated" equipment, the audit found.

It suggested irregular job appointments should be reversed. These would include the appointment of Trevor Davids, the authority's head of communications, and possibly that of security manager Ashwyn Govind.

11th Jan 2003, 23:31
Ja boet, thats Africa and SA is trying really hard to lower its standards to that of the rest of the continent.

Skaz
12th Jan 2003, 08:51
All these actions are in the Affirmative, if you get my drift. :rolleyes:

Gunship
12th Jan 2003, 10:25
One of my New year's wishes was not to post derogative / negative / bad / sad postings on PPRUNE but the sadness will continue I am sad to say. ;)

It looks like the SUNDAY TIMES made a full incestigation into these CAA matters. Good for them to expose the root if the evil!

the wizard of auz
12th Jan 2003, 10:57
BWAAAAHAHAHA, get the police to investigate them?? I wonder who is going to pay who in that case. :D

SortieIII
12th Jan 2003, 12:20
:rolleyes: I wait with interest to see whether either of the Trevors walks the plank for this!

Given recent history I'm not holding my breath.

Gunship
12th Jan 2003, 14:36
And worst is ... thay are on the BBC African News already ...

"Exposure" we do not need ... eischhh :(

BAKELA
14th Jan 2003, 13:59
Somebody told me that in a talk show interview with the Hon Minister of Transport about Trevor A this morning, a woman running an AMO phoned in claiming that she's aware that some of her AME's had fraudulant engineering licences and that she aims to take the matter to court.

Anybody heard about this one. As stokstoters (stick pushers) this should concern us if true.