View Full Version : What is meant by an approved school?

Tarmach
6th May 2001, 18:33
Ive just been reading the Bristol groundschool website. Under the requirements to do the ATPL exams it states that:

"The Joint Aviation Authorities (JAA) regard the training as being as important as the examination. Most pilots will be required to do 650 hours of training with an approved school before they can enter the exams."

What does all this mean? Yet later it states that all you need to enter the course is a PPL and recommends 100 hrs etc.

I thought in order to qualify for a CPL practical you needed 150 hrs, 100 hrs P1, ATPL exams passed. And once you have your CPL I though you could do your IR straight away.

Where does the 650 hrs fit into the equation?

Thanks
Tarmach.

Noggin
6th May 2001, 19:55
The Ground school requirement is 650 hours of ground training. (Classroom time may be reduced for distance learning)

In order to commence this training you must meet Pre-Entry Requirements of a PPL and 100 hours of "Flight Time" as a pilot.

In order to be issued with a CPL you need 200 hours flying experience (Modular Route) to include a CPL flying course (25 hours) the CPL or ATPL exams passed and to have passed the CPL Skill Test. The 150 hours you quote is for candidates attending a full time Integrated Course.

You can take the IR Skill Test with either a PPL or a CPL provided you have passed the IR written examinations (included in the ATPL exams)and completed a 55 hour IR flying course reduced by 5 hours if you have a CPL.

What is an approved course? One that has been given approval by the National Aviation Authority (CAA in UK)

Tarmach
6th May 2001, 20:21
Noggin,

Thanks for your excellent reply. The 650 hrs was a little ambiguous to the untrained eye!!

In your post you mention:

"In order to be issued with a CPL you need 200 hours flying experience."

Am I right in thinking 100hrs of the 200hrs must be P1 - pilot in command and the rest can be made up from the CPL flying course and IMC etc

Noggin
7th May 2001, 23:05
Sounds about right. JAR FCL 1.155 provides the detail.

CommanderBlonde
8th May 2001, 12:16
Hi Noggin,

I was recently at OATS discussing the modular route and I was specifically told I only needed a PPL (min 45 hrs) to take the groundschool AND exams - I was recommended to do my hour building after I'd taken my exams...

As far as I'm aware you need the 150 (95 p1) to start the CPL skills section.

Tarmach
8th May 2001, 15:02
yes thats a point worth considering. Would it be worth doing the ATPL exams before hour building?

foghorn
8th May 2001, 15:23
10, 100 or 1000 P1 hours in a PA28 will give you no extra benefit in the exams. Start the study as soon as you feel ready.

You can start with just a PPL, also get the Class 1 before paying any money to a commercial school!

[This message has been edited by foghorn (edited 08 May 2001).]

Tarmach
8th May 2001, 16:25
Foghorn,

but isnt there a time validity on the ATPL exams? For instance you must have your CPL in 2.5 years after passing the last ATPL exam? So wouldnt it be prudent to do the hour building + IMC before hand and then concentrate on passing the exams. Therefore once passed you can go straight onto the CPL flying course not worrying about hour building. Just a thought!!

Delta Wun-Wun
8th May 2001, 20:43
You have 36mths from the date of your last pass to obtain the CPL/IR.I would commence the writtens first as they are going to take the longest time.Do a bit of flying along the way just to keep your sanity.Then do the majority of your hour building on the run-up to your CPL.Use it to practise.

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!

Noggin
9th May 2001, 00:09
JAR-FCL was conceived on the basis that groundschool would be continuous. Distance learning generally takes considerably longer so the entry hours were relaxed for candidates taking that route. You still have to meet the entry hours for a CPL course as well as having a pass in all the writtens.

Modular training would be best conducted by moving from one module to another however, it is more common to spread the load and cost over a longer period. Once past, the ATPL exams have a 36 month validity in which time you must pass both the CPL Skill Test and the IR Skill Test as well as completing all the necessary hours. It is really down to the individual to program their time according to their availability and finances. Remember many get caught out and the rules are not very flexible.

[This message has been edited by Noggin (edited 08 May 2001).]