View Full Version : FIRST SOLO?

Intersection
6th May 2001, 15:04
I was thinking back to my first solo, the most nerve racking time of my flying career and wondered, could anyone else remember and share with me the first time they lifted off on their own????

------------------
"Vacate next Left at intersection...., contact ground now on 118.90"

[This message has been edited by Intersection (edited 06 May 2001).]

tunneler
6th May 2001, 18:36
28th Sept 1999 - EGPK - AA5A - GBHZO

Me - "GZO downwind left hand to land"

Tower "GZO - you are no 2 to a cargolux 747 please orbit at the end of your downwind leg"

Me - "ok........"

Brilliant :)

PFO
6th May 2001, 20:26
T/O was easy - look for 65kts, rotate, pitch for 80kts.

Then it is, "oh no, got to land this thing now!"

Fantastic

Intersection
6th May 2001, 21:15
Thanks guys keep it going I want to see more replies!!!!

------------------
"Vacate next Left at intersection...., contact ground on 118.90"

actionman1
6th May 2001, 21:17
On downwind the controller came on and asked me: Do you see the traffic on final. At this time I saw ,what seemed to be at that time, a very large plane coming towards me.
I told the controller I had the traffic in sight. As it was coming closer I could see it was a 727. The controller came on again and gave me permission to turn on to base after the 727 had passed me. So I turned to base and to final and was right behind the 727. The controller gave me landing clearance and in addition he said: be aware of wake turbulence. Made a perfect landing right after the 727. Loved it.

Steepclimb
7th May 2001, 18:08
Number 3 to a 747 and a 737 to take off at a busy airport. A couple of comments from the big boys aimed at me over the radio.

Then take off after waiting the required period for wake turbulence followed by a hurried circuit at 500' at the behest of ATC and an exhortation to 'keep the speed up' on finals as yet another heavy was tailing me.

Talk about pressure. Short but sweet.

My second solo was months later at another field and another school and was in fact considered a first solo by all concerned except me. I had barely mentioned the first solo and assumed they knew. I surprised everyone when I told them afterwards.

Technically was that two first solo's?

VFE
7th May 2001, 19:17
Most irritating thing about my first solo was; I had to go to work straight after :rolleyes:
Arrived at work a little late and was asked by the manager why I was late.

"Well....erm..... you're not gonna believe this....but..!"

Great moment in my life.

VFE.

willbav8r
7th May 2001, 21:16
Here in the good ole US of A, we get three circuits for our solo's.

Quiet pattern, so I was luck not to have the added stress of much traffic. Landings number one and two were okay (no damage and my headset didn't shake off)! - but number three......right on the numbers, a greaser, and I take the first taxiway exit back to the FBO.

I could barely fit my head into the car for the drive home.

Wonderful.

prob30
7th May 2001, 21:18
tower: After the landing line up and wait.

me: line up and wait
tower: negative hold your position i say again hold your position

oooooppppps.
would be my mate in the tower too!

Intersection
9th May 2001, 22:10
Well I can remember mine like it was yesterday, a cold gloomey day did'nt think I was going to fly (I was hopeing). But as the rule of sod it picked up and up I went down wind at 1000ft then finals was too high full flap decent almost run-out of runway (burnt a lot of rubber that day)!!!that was the most nerve racking time but at the same time I nearly burst with exitement!!! Excellent :) :) :) :)!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
"Vacate next Left at intersection...., contact ground on 118.90"

[This message has been edited by Intersection (edited 09 May 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Intersection (edited 14 May 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Intersection (edited 14 May 2001).]

blackknight
9th May 2001, 22:43
Going off topic slightly, My QXC to blackpool just proir to descendind deadside;

me: "XXX overhead"

BPL: "XXX roger, can you please remain in the overhead until further notice? we are just having the Red Arrows depart below you with a low level circuit"

me: "XXX Can stay up here and watch them all day"

BPL: "ha ha, thanks XXX"

Red1: "Many thanks XXX"

me: "XXX, Thankyou!!!"

BPL: "XXX cleared to commence deadside descent, call downwind"

This was by far one of the most exhilarating experiences during my PPL training, and comes a closesecond to going solo for the first time.

Blackknight

PFO
10th May 2001, 02:57
On visiting Cardiff for my QXC, I called Approach and they said they would come back.

5 minutes later - nothing - called them again - "we will come back".

By this time I am over Barry Island for the docks VFR approach.

Then, " G** cleared to Land Three Zero".

Where is it??

Looked down to the right - damn - there it is!!

After nice touch down and taxi along the r/w I get " G** please expedite quickly next left".

I did this and as I looked back over my right shoulder I saw a JMC 757 come wizzing down the r/w - scary or what!

757 Fodder - yuk!

PFO

Infinity
10th May 2001, 14:34
Well I only did my solo last summer - at Manston, Kent - I was on the RAF Flying Scholarship!!!

first few days of Septemeber - after a few days of really bad crosswind when we couldn't fly then we had a beautiful day - around 19:00hrs, the sun was low in the sky - burning bright, orange ball, lowering small patches of cloud reflecting the light - so I lined up, started rolling BUT didn't feel like the little Cessna was accelerating properly so I had to abort and do a taxi check!!

It all turned out fine - next I lined up 65kts and I was up!!! Singing like mad, then to realise that the take off was optional and landing is mandatory!!!!! The circuit was perfect - everything went right - flew out just over the coast - another soloist also in the cicuit!

Then on to base leg, start of descend, turned onto finals daed on 500ft, perfect glide path and an excellent landing - can remember every move in the circuit!!!!

Taxied back - was so happy when I got out (with my cushion cos I'm quite short!)started hugging everyone, tears of joy, it was definitely a real high point of my life - exhilarating and will never be forgotten - hopefully many more experiences to come!!!

I'm now 38hrs into my PPL and enjoying it like mad!!

I'm in my last year of A-levels,18, female, going to Bristol uni in September to do Biology and just accepted a uni bursary from the RAF but in the Air Traffic Control branch (my arms were too short for pilot) - however this leads to a 6yr short commission in this branch - but I'm keeping my eyes peeled for any airline sponsorships and keeping my doors open because I LOVE FLYING, I've wanted to be a pilot since I was seven and I will get there, eventually, even if I've deviated a bit on track!! Maybe after the RAF - I'll be 27/28 - then I may be able to fund licence and get into commercial! - lot to think about but I think I've got my plan sorted!!!

Wee Weasley Welshman
10th May 2001, 14:38
Well - whilst I remember my first solo (age 16 no less - scary stuff) I remember with much greater clarity *sending* my first solo.

Trust me - sometimes the instructor is more nervous than the student. A sometimes we have an even cheesier grin...

er82
10th May 2001, 15:09
11th November 2000, at 11am. In America, where the first solo is three circuits. Take-off was fine, then came the ghastly thought I'd have to land it by myself!

Upon walking back to the building after landing, I got soaked with a bucket of freezing cold water - a tradition of the flying school I was at even though I was just a 'visiting' English student and not there full time.

Went straight to a tattoo parlour and also got my first tattoo the same day.

Lemoncake
10th May 2001, 20:11
August 2000, Gillespie field, San Diego. I Dedicate that most marvellous moment to my instructor who was sadly killed in an accident in October 2000.

[This message has been edited by Lemoncake (edited 10 May 2001).]

Capt Wannabee
10th May 2001, 20:41
The best bit about my first solo was as I was climbing out turning round to talk to my instructor and just getting the view out of the window. I sat there and realised that I was flying on my own 100%.

What a feeling. Took me about 10 mins to stop talking at about 500 words per min after I landed!!

The man formerly known as
11th May 2001, 16:08
The only thing I remember about first solo was the instructor turning the radio down to give me wise words before setting me off on my own.

I couldn't understand why the ATCO wouldn't answer me and why a previously busy radio channel had gone dead. Luckily I worked it out before I made too many blind calls.

SKYYACHT
13th May 2001, 00:13
Hmmmm, first solos......well, First solo in a glider, Cadet Mark III, RAF Kenley, Summer of '75.....Noticed aircraft was MUCH more rapid on the launch.....A quick glance at all of London before me, before I was back on the ground....Only 16, and not even started work.....Thanks Air Cadets, and Thanks Clive....

Second first solo, Powered this time, at Alliance Field, Fort Worth, Texas.....Three solo circuits.....with heavies from American Airlines everywhere....Took off, got to circuit height, (I seem to recall 1500) and could STILL see the runway under the nose...
Came back to Earth knowing I could do it....That was 11 years ago, and I havent looked back.

So, thanks to those instructors who believed in me more than I did.....Woody (Norfolk Gliding Club) Bill Davidson (EX RN, now with Continental) Ajay, and Harry.

Tailwinds

Nick Mahon
14th May 2001, 02:58
I know RAF Kenley myself.

Went solo after 7hrs on an RAF Flying Scholarship at Southend. Legs were shaking like mad whilst taxiing to the runway. Can't explain what happened when the wheels lifted off the ground, - sheer emotions!!! The beast got on the ground without a crash, so the landing can't have been that bad!!

My plane was: G-BPME, aka 'The Beast'

kabz
14th May 2001, 03:11
First solo in the L-23 glider. Had to fly a couple of check flights, then over to the ops shack to write the endorsements in my logbook.

The walk back to the glider was a long one.

Then my first tow by myself. Got a tiny bit sideways on takeoff, but it fairly leapt into the air which saved me.

Felt all funny on the tow knowing that I was up there in a big metal glider just depending on my own flying skills to get down safely again. It's lovely and quiet in a glider, and with only simple instruments, you can pretty much just enjoy the view.

Released at 2000 feet, flew around a bit, then headed back to the IP and did a nice pattern and landing.

Just a wonderful feeling.

Charlie Foxtrot India
14th May 2001, 18:00
June 30th 1988.

I was so nervous I could hear my heart thumping through my headset!

Next day had one too many celebrating, fell downstairs and broke my ankle, couldn't fly for three months. There's a moral there somewhere.

The first one I sent first solo was even more nerve-racking.

I. M. Esperto
14th May 2001, 19:14
I soloed in an SNJ in Jan. 1954. We were given 15 hours to make it, or back to the fleet.

This was one handful of an airplane. No lightplane here. I went in with zero time, but strong motivation, and made it, thank God.
http://www.warbirdadventures.com/

I got my necktie cut at the Club, got pissy-eyed drunk.

Ennie
19th May 2001, 12:54
Peterborough Connington 15/7/99

G-OCAM AA5A Cheetah, most fantastic day ever!!, bumpy old runway but atleast it was quiet!, spent most of the circuit with my eyes on the oil pressure guage!!.

------------------
"Keep The F*****G Ball In The Middle"!!!

matspart3
19th May 2001, 14:15
29th February 1996...(so I've only had one anniversary!)

Tomahawk G-BTJL. The whole trip was during my lunch break. Did two dual circuits, my instructor took control as we landed on the second and said "Right - I'm getting out". The landing was the best I've ever done, I suppose self preservation kicks in!
Taxiied back for the obligatory 'cheesy grin' photo then went back to work in the Tower. Everyone got a straight in approach that afternoon!

Base leg
21st May 2001, 00:32
Was in a piper cherokee- lining up prior to t/o went for the brakes (not foot brakes) -hand brake and pulled 10 degrees of flap instead ! They call it regression I believe. My checks now go along the lines of 'flaps positively identified and selected'. Leave the speedbrakes for the one in the left seat !

RRAAMJET
21st May 2001, 06:22
Oh yes....the VERY LAST person to solo from the College of Air Training, Hamble ( I've checked ). Closed after I landed ( too many dents in the grass, I suppose!!!); very sad. Great instructors, great place - much missed.

I've often wondered what became of Capts Tommy Thompson and Nelson, my instructors. E-mail me if you know. (Ex-RAF, now 767's for AA, so I guess they laid a successful foundation for other instructors to wrestle with!).

Congrats, as always, to all of you that have recently soloed.

RVR800
21st May 2001, 11:51
Stuart, Fl
Treasure Coast Flight Academy
13 hrs
Excellent Day

Captain Cessna
21st May 2001, 14:50
Did my Flying Scholarship summer '99 at Manston. Had a great time there.

My first solo consisted of 10 mins holding on the ground for a DC-8 to land, then the mini cross-country that is flying a circuit at Manston.. it goes on, and on and... :)

I think i logged 20 mins in all, for that 1 circuit :)

[This message has been edited by Captain Cessna (edited 21 May 2001).]

skysoarer
21st May 2001, 15:15
I don't have much power experience, but I have a fair amount of gliding experience at a club near Swindon.

November 14th 1999, steady wind day, mostly dry field and fairly clear day with some sparse cumulostratus. Just had two check flights to practice winch launch failures, then the instructor did the old trick of sitting in the back until my checks were complete at which point he said:
"Well I hope everythings ok to go because you're doing it on your own!"

Oh hell, I didn't have time to panic I just had to get on with it. At the same time I remembered that our club is one of the best for training due to our wierd field shape and short launch run so I was real happy in a bladder destroying kind of way...

The launch started alright, please don't break cable please please; then the speed became a bit quick so I fishtailed to signal the winch to ease off a little. Back to 58kts thats better, then the back-release - 1300ft launch, not bad for a 900 yard run with a large V8 engine on the back.
Since it was November there wasn't any thermic lift around and certainly no wave near Swindon at this height. I remember looking at the fantastic visibility on this day, the Uffington White Horse and a Cessna violating our airspace - gee what a surprise. At 1500ft staring at the GPS no doubt and still going through where our winch cable can reach! Slice and dice, nice!
After then I practiced some tight turns, set up a good circuit, came in a little high but corrected with more break to get back on the ideal slope, didn't hold-off for quite long enough but handled alright and came to a stop to the side of the field away from the cables where I should be. Then the shaking started, what the heck had I just done - my first solo! Weehee!
I climbed/clambered/fell out of the glider and jumped up and down like a madman, quite a feat with that parachute... :/ I was greeted by my instructor who shook my hand and said "Well done, not much wrong there". Then I knew the expence was really worth it.

Since then I have more than trebled my hours, achieved the qualifying flights for the Bronze and X-country this time last year and due to college caused delays shall be doing the written tests shortly. I would hope to do my first x-country this year and reckon its dooable.

Some interesting experiences on this thread. Certainly I'm not the only one who really loves flying! :)

Graeme Scott
[email protected]

Pielander
21st May 2001, 15:19
It was the end of another sunny day in sunny Welshpool. I couldn't wait to get up there on my own. The weather was perfect and it was Friday afternoon. My instructor got out and... you know the rest. I don't think I've ever flown so carefully before or since.

I got back on the ground after my lap of honour and everybody had buggered off home. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif I resorted to phoning my parents to share my great moment with them. The conversation went something like this:

Pie: Hi

Pie's mum: How are you?

Pie: I've done it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pie's mum: What? You've got your license?

Pie: No - I've been solo!!! :)

Pie's mum: Oh. How long before you get your license?

Pie:

Pie's mum: Hello?

Pie: :rolleyes:

Pie's mum: Are you still there?

You get the idea. I suppose you have to do it to appreciate it. Congrats to those who have just done it. Welcome to the club. :)

Pie

[This message has been edited by Pielander (edited 21 May 2001).]

foghorn
21st May 2001, 18:18
Cranfield, G-OPPL, AA5A, summer 1999.

Full power smoothly, 2200rpm we have,
T&P's good, airspeed alive,
rotate at 65kts, climb away at 80kts,
doesn't it go like a rocket with no instructor in?
sh*t i've got land it now..
'G-PL f-f-f-f-finals to land'...
argghh how do you do it now?
70kts nailed, throttle back slightly at the fence
flare, hold off, hold off a bit more...
and....
bump... we're on!!!!
best landing ever up to that point!!!

yippeee.... Captain Foghorn

oh, do I remember :) :) :) :)

FlyGirl-100
21st May 2001, 18:54
Not the first solo - but defintely a solo that I will remember.

I fly a variable pitch prop. Taking off on a fairly cool day ( luckily!) from the shortest runway at the a/port. Taxi roll - applied fullpowet -gaining speed too slowly. Halfway down runway - still not gaining speed like normal - now Im 3/4 down runway, barely made it to 60 knots - rotate - take off. At this point Im climbing ver slowly, almost at cruise attitude, as any attempt to raise the noise costs me speed - Im about 400 feet off the ground and stuck there.

Im not sinking so this is a good thing! but hell I cant climb to circuit height. My heart beating faster now and my throats parched. Turn downwind and Im still trouble shooting - everything looks in order until I glance at the (well Im sure youve figured it out by Now) the Manifold pressure guage at ZERO! Yikes - push lever full forward - were back in action! That took a few years outta me for sure! Get on the ground, go right back up and this time I soared! And till this day, never forget to check the prop lever 10 times.

Lawyerboy
21st May 2001, 18:58
July 2000, Stapleford. I'd just done two circuits with my instructor when he said, "Right, feel up to it? Good, I'm off for a cup of tea then, see you later."

One full circuit, Traumahawk down in one piece, Cheshire cat grin all the way back to High Cross.

Back at the airfield I'm elated enough that I let a friend of mine (who was learning to drive at the time) drive us back to the main road down a dirt track which winds itself through some fields. Five minutes later my grin has disappeared and I'm calling the RAC to get me out of the ditch that my friend drove us into.

Still got gloriously drunk that night, though.

Buggs
21st May 2001, 23:00
Well three solos really. The first, Gliding at RAF Kenley (1996) in a Grob Viking courtesy of the ATC. Winch launched, pulling hard to get as much height on the launch. Bang, cable release then silence! Fantastic.

The second from a grassy knoll in Cornwall (Cornwall Flying Club) curtousy of an RAF Flying Scholarship the following year. Went solo in 7hrs 50mins. Weather was great for circuits that day unlike previous days. And it went without a hitch. The airfield is so small that it was over just as soon as it had started!

My third 'first solo' was in 2000 out in California. I hadn't flown since the RAF Scholarship as the funds weren't available. And so had to learn how to fly all over again! This time though I had to play with the big boys of the sky and contemplate 5 runways! I gained my PPL from that trip and still only have 56hrs to my name. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

--
As an aside, INFINITY (if you read this) I noticed that you're planning on coming to Bristol this year. I'm at Bristol Uni so if you've got any questions drop me an e-mail. Congrats on the bursary!

Buggs

WGW
25th May 2001, 21:24
First glider solo (also in a Grob, courtesy of ATC) at Weston-Super-Mare, 1991.

10 year wait, then first powered solo was this very Saturday, flying from Tucson International Airport, Arizona. Nice clear circuit for the touch and go, second time round, onto downwind, there's a Cherokee joining the circuit in front of me. **** **** **** - "Cessna 272, we'll call your base", panic panic. Went like a dream though. F***ing awesome.

Just got to revise some air law and I should be good to solo in the UK this weekend. Ahhh, it'll be good to feel that smoooooth air again after all those desert thermals...

PPL in time for GAPAN? You betcha.

:)

WGW

englishal
26th May 2001, 00:25
Not first solo, but not far from....

TOWER: XYZ cleard touch and go runway 25R, caution wake turbulence recently departed Gulfstream runway 30
XYZ: Cleared T&G 25R, caution WT

Touch and go....back in the air

BANG...( as the aircraft lurches violently)...what the fu**

Taught me a valuable lesson about Wake Turbulence though .....don't mess with it !

BayAreaLondoner
26th May 2001, 03:04
My first solo was August 2000 at Hayward Executive (KHWD) near San Francisco. Went there because the cross-winds were really picking up at my home base just across the Bay (San Carlos, KSQL).
Anyway, Hayward's left runway is really long compared to San Carlos, and the pattern altitude is pretty low (600' I think) since it is directly under the glideslope into one of Oakland International's runways.
We'd been doing circuits and the first I knew about it was when my instructor talked to ground and asked where he should stand for a supervised solo. Yikes! So we taxied over and he got out. I gave him my handheld transceiver (I suppose I thought he might jump in and talk me down if necessary...) Just as he was closing the canopy he said "Oh by the way, I never asked if you feel ready to do this?" :)
I taxied back to the runway and took off. To be honest, I could've done three T/Os and landings along without leaving the airport - the airplane wanted to fly so well without my CFI and the runway was long enough, but I did my three T/Os and landings and picked up my instructor.

Definitely something to remember. I have to say though, that my first solo cross-country, and solo long cross-countries were probably more special, though.

Incidentally, my CFI told me that a student of another instructor at another school he once worked at did his solo, but didn't just do circuits; no, he took off by himself and f***ed off for an hour or so before coming back to pick up his rather peeved CFI... Apparently the student didn't realise he was supposed to stay in the pattern and had been out doing maneuvers, etc.

:)