View Full Version : BALPA Warning

psyclic
11th Jan 2003, 15:34
BALPA Has recently taken on pay negotiations on behalf of the pilot work force at a certain UK police and EMS support helicopter company.

BALPA has accepted a package on behalf of the employees that will increase many fixed base pilots gross pay by up to 10%. Non fixed base pilots (about 20% of the pilots) will see their hardship allowance increased by 400% (quadrupled). Good news. I hear you say.

BALPA also agreed, in the same package, to reductions in the allowances paid to those pilots who run the company contracts around the country.(i.e. the unit chief pilots, another 20% of the pilot work force).Some unlucky chief pilots will see their allowances cut by up to 80%!!

BALPA sanctioned these cuts without the affected pilots prior knowledge or agreement.

BALPA has stated this is legal! (As BALPA had been given the mandate to negotiate on behalf of all the pilots!)

What do you think?

Meeb
11th Jan 2003, 16:37
I think you misunderstand how Balpa operates. They are a trade union, nothing less nothing more, so they are directed by the membership, in your case, within your company. This is achieved through a 'Company Council', which is comprised of Balpa members voted for by the Balpa members within your company. The CC is usually 3 members + 1 Balpa head office rep. Any agreement must be voted on by the CC, so if you have an agreement not to your liking you have to make that clear to your company reps. Its true Balpa have no stomach for a fight with management (of any company), so it is imperative that your elected CC members stand firm on the needs and desires of all the membership.

Balpa is only the framework, the members MUST be the force for change.

psyclic
11th Jan 2003, 19:26
Apparently the CC did not consider that the company package would penalise the unit chief pilots. The chief pilot changes were not even on the agenda for the meeting. The amendment was carefully slipped in by the company late in the afternoon. The CC members and the head office rep failed to spot the consequences and the whole package was agreed.

The potential damage has since been notified to the CC. Now BALPA is reluctant to do any thing and will not cancel the members vote.

Some of those chief pilots have paid thousands over the years in BALPA subscriptions. This is their reward!

Big-Windy
12th Jan 2003, 10:17
Yep, it's arotton situation and I sympathise with the CPs who have been 'let down' by neogotiations on this occasion but the CC did canvas everyone beforehand for any particular issues that they wanted on the agenda. As far as I'm aware, no CPs had anything to say. It was the intention of both the company and the CC that most would gain, some substantially, but none would lose out. Surprise, surprise, those who shouted the loudest got exactly what they wanted!

As has been implied in the private forum relating to this company, negotiations are ongoing and this sort of outstanding issue will be addressed in due course I'm sure. I would hope so anyway.

Bertie Thruster
12th Jan 2003, 11:15
Windy. How is the removal of a £2000 allowance "not loosing out"? Its going to the vote. CC/BALPA HQ won't budge. (too embarrassed by the company hoodwink!)

It's going to make a good headline:

"BALPA led deal hits 20% of workforce"