PDA

View Full Version : A Question for Aussie Expats with FAA Licences

Sheep Guts
11th Jan 2003, 15:06
Has anybody been to the States to get there first Type Rating above 12,500 lbs since Sept11, if so please give me some details ie. problems, visia required etc etc.?

I am just curious to find out the hassles, if any, as I have been reading on these forums . Some people have said you need to apply to the US Dept of Justice, for a check. How do you do this?

And how LONG actually did it take to get the required visas FROM start to stop? Any input appreciated.

Regards
Sheep

Please PM me if you like.

dogcharlietree
12th Jan 2003, 09:27
As I'm (hopefully) going to the States this year for training, I was sent some paperwork from the US Department of Justice. I will try to locate it. So I suggest you try their site; http://www.usdoj.gov/index.html
and also http://www.intl.faa.gov/DOJavtrng.pdf

Yes, they appear to have tightened it all up.

Sheep Guts
13th Jan 2003, 02:18
Thanks for the reply Dog, very usefull info, how long has the process taken so far? PM me if ya like?

I am getting mixed reports from my searches on this forum, regarding this topic. I am becoming to beleive it is near impossible to get an intial Type Rating over 12,500LBS ( if you're an Alein ie.all Australians and British Citizens that dont have a Green Card etc.). Unless you allready have a > 12,500lb Rating, then its a little easier.

Heres another question then. Are threre any Virgin Pilots that got a US FAA 737 Type Rating after September 11, ie. their initial rating?

I seems the doors are closed I was lucky to get my FAA ATP before they closed , but no rating though ah well.

Any more info much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Regards
Sheep

kabz
14th Jan 2003, 02:14
Sadly it's still looking like it's impossible to get an initial type-rating even if you **have** a green card.

Reading the second of the above link, it looks like green card holders are still in limbo. This is anecdotally backed-up. :(

If anyone can contradict this, please post :confused:

Sheep Guts
14th Jan 2003, 21:37
Thanks Kabz for the reply,

I now have another question can you do FAA Type Ratings outside the United States does anyone have info on this?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Sheep

Ive had a couple replies so far from people who have been refused US Types before and even during Training after going through the right channels. The US DOJ are very tough at the moment, with super powers granted by congress and the White House.

stratoblaster
16th Jan 2003, 22:13
I have a green card and i can tell you that holders of such are considered RESIDENT ALIENS in other words you are still considered to be an alien. If the post Sep 11 problems re type ratings are related to this, then the green card will not solve the problem. Only way out would be to become a US CITIZEN.

Good Luck!

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
17th Jan 2003, 07:33
The problem I feel you are refering to is in the requirement to have a fair amount of experience prior to the FAA being able to issue the rating on your FAA license.

The training conducted at PAN AM for example is accepted by CASA, so it can be issued onto your CASA license, go figure. Although for CASA i think you need to have actually flown the aircraft for a flight check, now that's going to be expensive.

Taxying in a 737 for circuits, mmmm.

Rich-Fine-Green
17th Jan 2003, 08:03
You can not even get into an FAA FSDO these days without an appointment made weeks in advance.

Let alone try to obtain/change/upgrade an FAA certificate.

mjbow2
18th Jan 2003, 03:35
Hey sheep....

got my type rating after 9/11. the requirement is that you need to have already trained on a 'large' a/c in the states before 9/11, either under parts 142/121/135/129.

I am told by a lawyer that you can get get a student visa of sorts to do type training at a part 142 school etc and that you need to sign a 'release' for that school to send your personal info to the DOJ to do a background check. This has apparently taken up to 2 months in some cases. I work for a 121 carrier and it took 24hrs for my background check to come back....dont know if the same expediance is experienced by other 121/142 operators!

Dont know about the green card thing....hasnt had any effect on me!

dogcharlietree
24th Jan 2003, 22:06
Hi Sheep,
Also just found this site which should answer a lot;
http://www1.faa.gov/avr/afs/flightinstruction/index.cfm
Regards.

Sheep Guts
24th Jan 2003, 23:05
mjbow,
Good for you. I suggest the reasons yours was cleared early and easily are the following:

1. You allready work for a 121 Carrier.

2. You allready have Type Rating or Ratings above 12,500lbs.

3. Your Training wasnt self sponsored.

4. You are allready in country, and have the right to work there.

5. If you have a Green Card you were lucky to get Passed, If you are a U.S. Citizen it is alot easier.Several stages of the check you dont have to do.

Im happy for you

Kindest Regards

Sheep

P.S. I am an Alein Australian outside you country, with No Type Rating above 12,500lbs, I dont have the right to work or have a Green Card.

Can you identify the difference in our scenarios.

The Only things I may have incomon with you is that:

1. I allready have an FAA ATP which was issued years ago after doing a full written and flight test off my Australian Commercial MEIR.

2.And I speak English.

3. I wish to do Self Sponsored Type Rating. Or to know I can, at the drop of a hat, as thats how spontaneous this industry works.

4.My country has ALSO allready committed and sent Troops to a possible conflict in Iraq, that has yet to be U.N. authorised.

Go figure

:(

Dog charlie

Thanks again mate for the website info. Very intersesting how the DOJ link in is still under construction.

Regards Sheep

mjbow2
27th Jan 2003, 03:56
Yeah, I hear you sheep! It would be nice for the DOJ to distinguish between foreigners from 'enemy states' and those whose country is is supporting their hunt for the turbined one!

Anyway, my distinction was probably not highlighted sufficiently. There is no need to have a previous type rating! you only need to have 'trained' on A/C >12500lbs. which includes training as a first officer, or captain without being given the type rating itself.

Naturally this training would need to have been done under 121/135/129 or a training center, part 142 (flight safety, simuflight etc).

I do not have a green card either. so i couldnt say that having one would make someones DOJ background check come back sooner.

Rregards....MJB