PDA

View Full Version : PIC Limitation? HELP!!!

NoseGear
11th Jan 2003, 07:15
Hi all, I need some info regarding the PIC limitation placed on your licence after doing a B737 type rating in the states. I have 1800 hours TT and 1300 multi command, all piston, and plan on doing a type rating soon.

However, as I do not meet the FAA requirements for doing the rating in the Sim only, (2000TT, 500 Turbine Multi) I will have this PIC Limitation. I don't think I can afford to go to a training organisation that can do some actual flight time in the 737, and I will not be seeking work in the states, rather in Asia and South Pacific so am wondering if this limitation will really affect me outside the USA?

I am really in need of some advice as I would like to get this underway as soon as I can.

Thanks in advance

Nosey

JJflyer
15th Jan 2003, 10:28
Your licence will state "Second In Command Only" basically it means that you are qualified in the type as First Officer. Will it hinder your job prospects? I can say that it is better to have no restrictions on your ticket and medical and employers will be looking at that wording Not many are familiar with the ways how FAA works outside US of A, unless they have had flown or been otherwise been exposed to the FAA culture.

Will the type rating get you work. If so go for it. Personally I would wait until I had enough hours for the type without restrictions. Looks better on paper and does not create too many questions.

I did my first FAA PIC type just over 3 years ago. I was current as SIC before that and did not have the type on my licence. This also generated a lot of questions mainly " How can you fly the airplane without being typed" Usually getting the oled FAR/AIM out and showing how FAA did it cleared this.

NoseGear
16th Jan 2003, 01:40
Thanks JJ, thats about what I thought it might be. I don't think it will hamper job prospects as I will only be an F/O for awhile!!

Cheers

Nosey