View Full Version : bmi in AGP?

no, no, no
10th Jan 2003, 14:18
I've heard that bmi are going to start flying LHR-AGP this summer? Has anyone else heard this?

Surely there is already too much capacity on the Malaga route from London?:rolleyes:

Alloy
10th Jan 2003, 22:04
Also Monarch Scheduled is starting LGW AGP from May.

http://www.flymonarch.com/news/item.asp?headlineID=134

no, no, no
13th Jan 2003, 08:30
It seems that the demand for Malaga is still one of the highest med destinations in Europe, but with all the low cost flying, along with traditional and charter airlines, surely neither bmi or Monarch could reach the yields they would need to make an impact on the market.

I can't see why with all the destinations in Europe, bmi couldn't fly somewhere that isn't served from LHR..... and make their own demand........:confused: :confused:

crazy idea
13th Jan 2003, 10:40
its about time bmi started developing again though with new services and stopped adding more flights to domestic routes like Edinburgh and Belfast which seems to increase by the year...

agree though that maybe Malaga is not the best of options for them - they would just be the small player against other carriers with greater capacity/frequency.

it appeared that they had the same problem with LHR - Rome when they couldn't compete with BA/AZ plus low-cost - they had the volumes but from what I heard they couldn't get a decent yield....

eastern wiseguy
13th Jan 2003, 13:27
I fear you will see the domestic routes like BFS-LHR decrease....a decision on the BFS LHR route (woefully served) will be taken soon. I did hear from a Bmi person that if they could find profitable routes elsewhere they would pull out of NI all together..(And before I get jumped on by various BHD bods I mean the inadequate timings BACK to NI at night)

edited for punctuation

Max Angle
13th Jan 2003, 18:06
Rumour in the company is that LHR-BFS will go down to a Fokker a/c soon and may be dropped is demand continues to be low. The low-cost people seem to be doing OK out of there but I don't know how much money theY are making out of it. BFS may be woefully served but we are not a charity, if we can't make money we will go elsewhere. The message would seem to be "use it or lose it".

AerSligo
13th Jan 2003, 21:20
MaxAngle
The LHR-BFS is currently being operated by the F100; it has been since December I believe. Summer timetables show the A320 back on the route. The whole bmi NI operation is quite strange at the moment. I recently travelled on the BD96/97 LHR-BHD - a rotation which used to go to BFS. I don't know when it changed and neither bmi nor BHD seem to have advertised the fact that an extra rotation runs to BHD. Also - do the Pax numbers really chage that much from Summer to winter? Over the Summer there were 5 A320 rotations to BFS and now we are down to 3 F100s? All very strange. And before anyone asks/comments on the fact that I flew to BHD - this was quite simply due to the fact that the lastest LHR-BFS flight leaves at 1625! I much prefer the nice long runway at Aldergrove to the break-neck braking at BHD!! Come on bmi - make a decision as to what you are doing with your NI operations. Or are you going to do a BA on us and leave us with no choice but LagerLout airlines!

eastern wiseguy
13th Jan 2003, 22:29
The message would seem to be "use it or lose it".

I would love to ...but I do like to leave LHR later than 1930 ......DECENT timetables would help:rolleyes:

crazy idea
14th Jan 2003, 09:44
Surely it make's sense for bmi to consolidate Belfast in to one airport though, especially if BFS is proving to be unprofitable.. you don't see them operating Glasgow AND Prestwick, or CDG AND Orly, so why should Belfast be different.... and now that easy sre starting LGWBFS things could only get worse for bmi at BFS.

Plus, if the changes in BFS enabled bmi to expand in other ways, be it Malaga, other new routes (maybe Aberdeen considering it is already a point on their network and it would be good to have competition to BAs monolpoly), or other leisure destinations in Spain, Italy or Portugal etc, then wouldn't this be a good thing? :D