PDA

View Full Version : Flight Training Australia

pistol_pete
10th Jan 2003, 03:56
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Flight Training Australia in Brisbane, and if so what are they like?

Thanks in advance.

motboy
10th Jan 2003, 09:20
I done my IF rating there in 97 and they seemed ok to me.

cyclops camel
10th Jan 2003, 10:02
Did my PPL, CPL, IF and IR there in 1987.

The faces have probably changed - even the ones that are still there! But if the professionalism and character are still present - go for it. They gave me a great start in the industry.

I still like going back to chat about aviation over lunch from the greasy spoon!

Good luck, and say hi from Dubai - they'll know who you mean.

CC. ;)

RAVAN
10th Jan 2003, 11:22
pp, I'm the same as cyclops camel.

Did my PPL CPL IF and IR there in 1997. Very professional, high standards and a pretty good bunch of blokes.

Not the cheapest on the field but I don't regret paying the bit extra for the standard of training that I got.

Also have their own maintenance branch who seem to do a pretty good job of keeping things flying - which is the way we all like it !

cheers

pistol_pete
11th Jan 2003, 00:21
Thanks for your thoughts on FTA, just one other thing I have been wondering about. How did everyone pay for their training? eg- did you have the cash in hand or get a loan etc... and also did you manage to make the money you spent on training back?
I am having trouble deciding if I can afford to spend all that money then find that work is next to impossible to find. (I am intending to do a career flying program, CPL,MECIR,ATPL theroy etc...)

Thanks for all thoughts/comments

cyclops camel
11th Jan 2003, 12:39
You could really tell the difference between guys who earned/borrowed the cash and those whose parents said "Here - go be a pilot."!!

I borrowed Au$20,000 in 1987 at the incredible (by today's standard) rate of 19.5% fixed.

Took the loan over six years and my last monthly payment co-incided with my first paycheck from Ansett.

Was it worth it? What do you think!!

Tucker
12th Jan 2003, 21:17
Cyclops, will pass that on to HM and staff.
Cheers,

404 Titan
13th Jan 2003, 06:39
Did my Instructor Rating there in 1991. Would have to be one of the most professional flying schools I have attended. As Ravan said not the cheapest school on the field at Archerfield but you get what you pay for. In this case a very professional start to you aviation career.:)

nasa
15th Jan 2003, 01:10
cyclops camel.....Maybe if you hadn't spent the massive amounts of money that you earned prior to AN on nights of debauched drunkeness, with Scumbag, Cpt Hatrack, & Carl The Kiwi to name but a few.....:D :D :D

IMHO FTA were always a great bunch, more so when JE had a hold of the rudder.....

HabibBro
17th Jan 2003, 02:18
Sometimes you get lost in these large commercial schools and become simply a number Mr123, but fast to know you when the $ are due. Weigh up the options some smaller personal more 1on1 schools also do a good job, either way end up with the same CPL down the track.

pistol_pete
17th Jan 2003, 03:55
This brings up one more question, does where you learn have any influence over future employers? I mean, are there some schools that airlines etc... would prefer you to have learned at than another? I've heard that Qantas like it if you learn at an approved cadet training school however I don't know how true that fact actually is.

Thanks

RENURPP
3rd Feb 2003, 23:16
Thats an interesting question.
I wouldn't think that the airlines were concerned where you did your training.

The people I personally know in QF have come from all walks of life and training schools.

Would be an interesting poll to set up, asking guys were did they train. Problem is i don't know how to do it on here. It could be broken down into the different style of schools from local aeroclub, privately owned CFI/manager type flying schools up to the bigger cadet type operations.
Have to limit it to employees of specific airlines to get an accurate idea from the results.
I think it would incicate no particular trend. The bigger schools would have more people in QF, the smaller schools less but as a percentage very similar.

Mr. Hat
3rd Feb 2003, 23:46
Pistol - Habibro has a point.

I'm not sure what sort of weight the BIG (not pretending to be big) schools have. I'm sure they are looked upon favourably.

However it is important to know which one is a sausage factory and which is a quality provider.

From a GA perspective there are a few places around in country towns that have a charter company attatched to their flying school. The advantage here is that you will not be a number. Your instructors are likely to be experienced and you will make good contacts at an early stage.

If you take one thing from this post its this - Try and find a place that will not change instructor on you every five minutes. Try and get an instructor that has a variety of experience.

Good Luck

ps be careful there are a few people/companies out there pretending..and remember they are selling you something..like a car sales man about to sell you a new top of the range WRX, they are going to say what you want to hear (the WRX is actually good though :) )

Woomera
4th Feb 2003, 01:11
I think that answers your question and this thread has been skating along the edge of "advertising", but as the reaction has been mostly positive I've been happy to let it run.

But as they say in THAT show, "It's time to go .........":p

Click W