PDA

View Full Version : Zero To First Officer

captainbirdseye
6th Dec 2001, 22:42
I saw an add in the back of Pilot magazine offering "Four Constantly updated manuals written by major jet airline pilots" claiming to be a comprehensive guide to becoming a commercial pilot pointing out all the pitfalls etc, etc.

Can anyone comment on this offer is it worth parting with the £28. Call me tight but £28 could get me half an hour in a Cesspit 152, and I want to know if this deal imparts any knowledge that the hardened ppruner does not already know.

Busta Level
6th Dec 2001, 22:47
Yes it does.

I saved in the region of £7000 to £8000 because of it (not to mention landing a job at the end of training)!

No connection with it, just a satisfied customer. :)

captainbirdseye
7th Dec 2001, 00:11
Sounds good enough for me.

CBE

Cos
7th Dec 2001, 09:49
Busta,

I am interested to hear a success come from the 02FO book. I bought it and found it to contain almost no practical information on how to get a flying job. All the book seemed to contain was a lot of enthusiastic pep-talk about how one should stay positive during training. True I am sure but I felt it glossed over the important details that a potential student pilot needs to know. Such things as assessing whether one could complete an ATPL course, how to build hours, what to do it you are not recruited with 300 flight hours (which the book presumes you will be). The list is endless.

I recommend that if you need a pep talk, you should not be considering spend £60K+ on training. If you need information on flying training and recruitment, use this excellent web site or buy a different book. In short, I was disappointed. Any book that recommends you make money for training by gambling on horse-racing should be treated with suspicion in my opinion.

Busta, congratulations, I am truly glad that you have a career in flying. I would be interested to know how the 02FO book helped you to secure a flying job.

Wee Weasley Welshman
7th Dec 2001, 13:37
I would recommend the Clive Hughes book.

Triple_Seven
7th Dec 2001, 14:56
I think the manuals are very good in explaining the somewhat complicated process of eventually getting that all important 'flying job'. It gives excellent tips on what to look for/not to look for when selecting the flight school and final interviews.

I have yet to put the manuals into practice but they sure do prepare you for the road ahead.

Base leg
7th Dec 2001, 15:42
Explains everything for the beginner and should save you many euros.......!

Clive Hughes (http://www.ppl-atpl.demon.co.uk/)

[ 07 December 2001: Message edited by: Base leg ]