View Full Version : JAA/JAR School in the USA

upfront
21st Aug 2001, 03:25
Can some one point me in the right direction to find a list of registered schools in the USA that offer JAA/JAR traning

Thanking you in advance UF

socrates
21st Aug 2001, 05:47
From my understanding there appears to be only 1 JAA/JAR school in the US currently, though if I'm wrong I will surely be corrected double quick time here.

Try checking out EFT
web page (http://www.europeanflighttraining.com)

Small school run by Trevor Brackston and Ben Wood, both ex Pan Am, but very dedicated and very professional.

For fear of 'advertising' further, if you want further details feel free to email me.

Good luck.

null

[ 21 August 2001: Message edited by: socrates ]

Facts Not Fiction Pls
21st Aug 2001, 06:23
Not quite Socrates!!!!!!!

Upfront:
You can get a list of JAA approved schools in the US on the CAA web site
http://www.srg.caa.co.uk

Look under Safety regulation then personal licencing. Or try Pilot or FLyer magazines.

Hey EFT try:

Brittania, Winterhaven Florida
Ormond Beach Aviation, OB, Florida
Naples Air Center, Naples Florida
Ambassador Airways, Naples Florida
OFT, Orlando Florida
UK FLight Training, California

not to mention good ole EFT - although with that "only 1 school" line I don't think I would choose it! At least be honest EFT!!! If you can't stand the competition get off the ramp!!!!
:D

Julian
21st Aug 2001, 11:29
I trained at UKFT, they say on the website (http://www.ukft.com/) that they are one of only 3 who can conduct the RT exam - so if you train with anyone else you will have to sort that out afterwards.

Julian.

socrates
21st Aug 2001, 17:00
Well, just as predicted, it didn't take long....16 minutes. Thanks factsnotfiction.

Firstly I would like to point a couple of facts out:

1. I do not represent EFT. Any entries made by EFT on this website are clearly identified by them (generally Ben Wood CFI) at the end of each comment.

2. EFT are prbably the most honest and professional FTO I have dealt with. This is further supported by others in the industry. Now although this is not a fact it is more accurate than the implication in the 2nd message.

3. EFT have no need to worry about competition. At present their competition is in the form of Pan Am, who have recently announced their decision to withdraw JAA training. Given the background of Brackston and Wood it is more likely that they are going to have a busy school.

4. To re-iterate; EFT are rapidly becoming (if not already) one of the only JAA capable schools in the US. My initial post was just that; I intended to point you in the direction of a professional outfit where I know you will receive thorough professional training.

5. Therefore, (and taking the lead from FNF) from the CAA website the following provide the following training:

a. JAR CPL(A) Modular Flying

European Flight Training
International Flight Training Acadamy
Orlando Flight Training
Pan Am Flight Acadamy Inc

b. JAR Instrument Rating( A) Modular Flying

European Flight Training

c. JAR Single Pilot Multi Engine Piston (L)

European Flight Training
Orlando Flight Training
Ormond Beach Aviation Inc

d. JAR Flight Instructor (R)

European Flight Training

Now that should answer your question, but if you want to confirm or do your own investigation I would browse this site (Pprune) for comments on the FTO's listed above. Some have celubrious reputations, other have good; you need to sort the chaff from the wheat and draw your own conclusions.

Good luck with your search and if you want any further information start at the following:

Srg.CAA FCL Approved FTO's (http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/documents/srg_fcl_ApprovedFTOs.pdf)

Facts Not Fiction Pls
21st Aug 2001, 17:35
Socrates -

You are missing at least two schools on the MEP list!!! Naples Air Center for one where I did my training, then of course there is Ambassador down the road that's two......

If you were aware of the other schools why are you suggesting that there is only one?

If you are not with EFT then I suggest that you stop acting for them because your lack of facts gives them a bad name!

As for the RT there are:

EFT
Naples Air Center
Brittania
Ormond Beach

plus no doubt a couple more. I believe there are more schools without this facility then there is with it! :rolleyes:

socrates
21st Aug 2001, 17:51
OK, so I missed a couple of FTO's. Big deal.

I have given the full URL for the question posed thereby enabling the person in their quest.

As for your comment about giving a company a bad name by not including facts; that is pure nonsense. What facts do you refer to; you imply that I miss some so maybe you could elucidate us to the truth.

Once more, (for your benefit):
I do not represent EFT or any other FTO come to that.

I can only comment on those that I know something about. I have thoughts and opinions about the others and in a private forum would be willing to expand, but not here.

[ 21 August 2001: Message edited by: socrates ]

Facts Not Fiction Pls
21st Aug 2001, 18:06
Socrates

This is not a bashing contest, merely trying to help potential pilots.

Alluring to the idea there is only 1 school is guilty by omission as I can see that you are a seasoned PPRuNer and therefore know better.

If you are going to list schools as the only schools just make sure it is correct!

Nothing personal but it gets me angry when people elude to things but don't have the facts. ;)

Bruce McGehee
21st Aug 2001, 20:54
Approved JAA school in US: FlightSafety International, www.flightsafety.com. (http://www.flightsafety.com.)

QUERY
21st Aug 2001, 22:08
Anyone remember what happened to the original Socrates?
These people always deny any 'connection' but, even if that is true, selective and unfounded recommendation of one FTO, on the basis of no experience or information on ALL of the others, suggests that this Socrates is suicidal or stupid- or does he hope that we're all daft?

Facts Not Fiction Pls
21st Aug 2001, 22:35
Joemama

Flight Safety closed their JAA program down a year ago much like Pan Am are doing now. :(

socrates
22nd Aug 2001, 00:14
Facts Not Fiction Pls

OK point taken and thankyou for admitting this is not a bashing contest.

I agree with getting the facts correct and also re your comment '....angry when people elude to things but don't have the facts' have a similar attitude.

But, when all is said and done we have to base our decision making on the best facts available to us at the time. I admitted my first mistake and corrected for it by providing some more and comprehensive details. To further 'cover myself' I included the url so that anyone else wishing to investigate the situation for themselves has the same information available.

As you have evidently been in the US for flight training then you will have an understanding of the situation and as I'm sure you will readily admit, with relation to JAA it is a very fluid and constantly changing situation, ie, Pan Am.

Query
As to your post I am confused about your question regarding the 'original socrates'. I have been posting on this website for a little while now and have never noticed any other 'socrates'.

I am neither suicidal or stupid nor am I pretentious enough to consider other people 'daft'. Prehaps you should take a closer look at home before you go throwing wild accusations around. I suggest you re-read my 2nd thread and edit yours accordingly.

Thankyou.

Sensible
22nd Aug 2001, 00:36
Socrates, a little honesty and accuracy in your posts would assist us all to avoid misunderstanding. I'm sure that your misleading posts were not intentional.

QUERY
22nd Aug 2001, 03:15
Doesn't his latest ignorant vapour trail indicate that you should ignore the current Socrates and EFT?

socrates
22nd Aug 2001, 03:52
Query

Either state your case clearly or put up and shut up.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about and are becoming quite offensive in your posts. To re-iterate:

'Take a closer look at home before you go throwing wild accusations around. I suggest you re-read my 2nd thread and edit yours accordingly'

Still waiting for a sensible response, which, if you aspire to a modern flight deck, you should at least be capable of.

Sensible
22nd Aug 2001, 10:42
Socrates, steady on with the hysteria! :D

socrates
22nd Aug 2001, 15:21
Sensible

It is hardly hysteria!

When you make an effort to help some-one, are pointed out an error and make and additional effort to resolve the issue, I believe, is constructive assistance.

What I do not condone is the petty, immature and irreverant behaviour of the minority of members of this web site. I know, and can cite, many aviation friends who have given up visiting this web site on the basis of the childish antics from people who aspire to bigger and better flying positions.

To make unfounded defamatory comments about someone without information to confirm such is just not accetable. It is also both immature and disrespectful. For someone aspiring to be a pilot it is not a good start.

So, I am not hysterical, just waiting for Qeary to support his statement with proof or provide an apology, neither of which are anticipated from such an evidently immature individual.

[ 22 August 2001: Message edited by: socrates ]

[ 22 August 2001: Message edited by: socrates ]

Ambassador1
22nd Aug 2001, 18:40
I cannot stand it anymore!!! I have to comment.

QUERY, I must say you have me ROFLMAO!!!! But is it much sport sparing with such an obvious mental midget?

Socrates, I do not think you have been posting in this forum long enough to have run into the first Soctates, since he stoped posting in this forum around 399 B.C.

If you would not like to suffer the fate of the first Socrates, I suggest you go and read his Bio. Do not look it up in Pprune, since by now I would guess it has been purged from the system from inactivity on his account. I am sure the server admin cleans out accounts that have not been used 2400 years!!!

Oh, about the first Socrates go here (http://www.trincoll.edu/depts/phil/philo/phils/socrates.html) and read up, so you do not commit the same mistakes. :p

Just in case you miss the URL, here is a quote from it.

"He was convicted and, resisting all efforts to save his life, willingly drank the cup of poison hemlock given him. The trial and death of Socrates are described by Plato in the Apology, Crito, and Phaedo. "

So stop the paranoia!

QUERY
22nd Aug 2001, 19:47
I presumed that 'Socrates' postings had prosecuted and convicted himself but, as he wants to appeal....
Wannabee postings which question, commend and criticise FTO's are common- OK- although some are obviously salesmen, self-serving, selective, slanderous etc.
In that respect, the Socrates/EFT plug was no different but, after its first foolish flight, it went on to, for example,
'EFT are rapidly becoming (if not already) one of the only JAA capable schools in the US.'
After simply praising or promoting one FTO, whether genuinely or not, how can anyone justify implying that it is unique or uniquely capable, unless they have personal and comparable experience of all the others? Has Socrates trained at all, as listed above, JAA places in the US?!

upfront
28th Aug 2001, 02:33
Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for all info that was offered.

Upfront