PDA

View Full Version : Bob Tur - Sky Action

Go-Around
9th Jan 2003, 12:05
Was watching a program last night on Reality TV, a UK Satellite tv station, and was wondering if any of the pilots are Rotorheads.
Names I remembered were:
Bob Tur
Larry Welch
Craig Dyer
Dave Martin
David Kitch
Aaron Fitzgerald

It was some pretty shocking footage.

handyandyuk
9th Jan 2003, 13:26
Shocking in what way?

Are we talking the ground jumping in front of a/c.... dodgy donks.... or dodgy driving (less likely given names visible).

Go-Around
9th Jan 2003, 14:39
The flying was spot on. It was what was being filmed at the time. The first episode of two was aerial rescues. All very skilled flying. The second of two was aerial footage of aircraft crashes ranging from the Aeromexico DC9 Mid-air, to a PA28 CFIT.
What I found shocking was the footage that these guys captured, all very raw uncut stuff.
The flying skills of these guys really was top notch.

All Blacks
9th Jan 2003, 17:12
From what I remember Bob Tur used to fly ENG in Los Angeles and Larry Welk flies an AS-350 for KCAL, also in Los Angeles. Craig Dyer is now project pilot for Tyler Camera Systems in Los Angeles, know that one for a fact as got an email from him yesterday.

AB

Bob Tur
Larry Welch
Craig Dyer
Dave Martin
David Kitch
Aaron Fitzgerald

HeliMark
9th Jan 2003, 17:41
Bob Tur owned/operated an AS350 that was contracted to CBS for local news service. He had other pilots flying his helicopter due to his license being revoked due to FAA violations (unkown if still revoked). If he was onboard, he was in the left seat due to this. He was a very good pilot, just his judgement in what he did with the helicopter kept getting the FAA's attention. I am not sure what he is doing now.

Both Dave Kitchens and Dave Martin flew for Bob Tur. They were (both retired in the last year) pilots for the Sheriffs department. At the time, it was common for ENG folks to have police pilots as it helps in obtaining additional info on stories.

Larry Welk is the grandson of the late Lawrence Welk, the piano player who had the T.V. show in the '70s.

All Blacks
10th Jan 2003, 02:25
Helimark

Is the machine that Larry Welk flies the same one that is kept in the hangar at Santa Monica Airport. I remember visiting David Price at the Museum of Flying there and seeing it parked on the ramp.

AB

HeliMark
13th Jan 2003, 04:37
A.B., I am not sure. Most opreate out of Van Nuys or Burbank Airport. Will try and find out for you this week.