PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fly for Robert Maxwell?!

Go-Around
9th Jan 2003, 11:34
From popbitch.com:

"Robert Maxwell bought a Squirrel helicopter in
1986 and insisted that the pilot must be a woman under the age of 28.
"There was an anonymous recruitment campaign
offering complete training at a cost of about
£30,000. During the physical tests that took
place at Robin Hill, Maxwell himself used to
turn up. He watched the women doing the assault
course from an underground hut that they used to
run over before jumping over an eight foot wall.
"The women would only pass on to the next part of
the course if they gave Maxwell a 'semi'."

Anyone want to own up or deny these rumours?

TomBola
9th Jan 2003, 16:52
Robert Maxwell's Twin Squirrell was flown by an ex-RN Canadian male pilot, who at the time was in his forties. The guy who most often replaced him whilst he was on leave was a large ex-RM male pilot. also in his forties at the time. Never heard any rumours about fit young women, though with Maxwell I guess anything could have been possible!

Droopy
9th Jan 2003, 18:11
I seem to remeber that one of the reasons he chose the Squirrel was that the doors were big enough for him to ease his fat a**e into the aircraft. Allegedly.

ppheli
12th Jan 2003, 21:16
I certainly remember hearing a male pilot on 119.9 trying as best he could to negotiate with the controller to get back to the roof in New Fetter Lane only minutes after leaving there because there had been a "change of plan by a passenger". But due to conflicting traffic, it wasn't that simple.... And who said anything about "passenger pressure"? (remember the AS355 has no central pillars etc like a Bell....)

There were also the unfounded rumours that RM used to intentionally spit grape pips into the carpet and check the next time he got in that they had all been vacuumed up...

rbc1149
14th Jan 2003, 22:28
Much of what those who have replied, carries some truth. Don't believe every thing that you read and only half of what you see.

I am the ex-RN- Canadian.

The original question and statement was a tolal load of S**t.

BoeingMEL
19th Jan 2003, 22:46
Slightly off-topic but..... did anyone else see the Captain of Lady Ghislane interviewed by Sky News after the great man disappeared? He described Maxwell's mood as "bouyant" the last time he was seen!

Thomas coupling
20th Jan 2003, 07:38
RBC 1149: c'mon tell us some more...none of the maxwells have any money left to sue you:D

There must have been some cracking experiences flying the great one around..............

Anyone out there have any "anonymous" stories to tell about flying rich kids around. What they get up to, how they treat their 'staff'..

Unwell_Raptor
20th Jan 2003, 08:04
Thom c;

I wouldn't be too sure about the remaining Maxwells being short of cash. I think that all of them (especially the widow) are managing to rub along quite nicely.

It doesn't take an Einstein to guess how, does it?

t'aint natural
20th Jan 2003, 20:11
You can't libel the dead, nor those who have no reputation left to lose. You can, however, libel their sons, who were exonerated.

Giovanni Cento Nove
21st Jan 2003, 07:03
Names removed to protect whoever, but there was an excellent rumour going around that there was only one hamburger left..................!! And take it from there.