PDA

View Full Version : Meningacoccal Outbreak on VB flight

Red Rat Lukey
8th Jan 2003, 23:35
Anyone hear anything about the Meningacoccal scare with one of the Vb FA's at the start of this week?

Hoping all concerned were checked and OK.

smile
9th Jan 2003, 06:29
I think that the title on this thread is a little over dramatic!!! We are all wise enough to know that if it was true a mass vaccination would have already taken place!!!

From what I understand the person in question just has a nasty case of the flu. Not quite sure how the whole meningococcal rumour got started, but it is a nasty one.

A young friend of my family past away from meningococcal last year. This virus is quite devastating as it can cause death in a very short time. So it is not very funny to spread these kind of rumours and cause an unnecessary scare.

skypryncess
9th Jan 2003, 07:29
I think the question was asked without malice smile. Anyone in this industry knows how quickly word/rumours spread, both true and false.

Red Rat Lukey
10th Jan 2003, 00:42
Thank you Sky , yes my question was concern not malice.

Smile, Pull your head in and do what your title says!

Theo Racle
10th Jan 2003, 02:10
Red Rat Lukey

Perhaps you ought to give more thought to how you title your posts in future....

I think Smile was quite reserved in her response. I would have straight out called you a wan??? or drama queen or both.

min
10th Jan 2003, 11:52
Just for the record, there is NO absolute vaccination against Meningococcal Disease as there are 3 or more different strains, and current vaccinations only cover 2 of them. Those who are in close contact with anyone diagnosed are usually given prophylactic antiobiotics in the form of Rifampicin. It is a notifiable disease, and as such, contacts will be contacted by Health Dept. officials as deemed necessary.

Meningococcal septicaemia often presents initially as a case of the flu, and this needs to be kept in mind. It can be difficult to diagnose because of this.

M.

Red Rat Lukey
11th Jan 2003, 03:25
The issue officially ends here.........

Orafice thanks for your camp reply......