PDA

View Full Version : Training and working in New Zealand / Australia! Advice much needed!

theharrier
8th Jan 2003, 21:18
Hi there!

I'm 19 and a UK citizen with a JAA Class I Medical certificate, South African PPL and Night Rating with approx 100hrs TT and a burning desire to progress with my flight training to ATPL level. Now I know a lot of people will no doubt be wondering why I'm not posting in the Wannabes Forum but thats because I'm really after more specific information.....

My dilemma is this : Do I risk upwards of £60, 000 (which would take some getting hold of in the first place) and gain a JAA ATPL (frozen) in Europe and then go on to face the enormous cost of staying current etc. in my quest to find employment on next to no hours OR do I train for a foreign ATPL - either Australian or New Zealand - for considerably less and where I've heard employment prospects are reasonably good? Incidentally if you know this to be untrue, please let me know!!

Do any of you know of Brits Down Under who have managed to find airline or even charter work? Are there flight training schools that any of you are involved with / would recommend? Do you happen to know if it is possible for foreign citizens to fly for companies on temporary work permits ie. without permanent residency in NZ/Aus? Any other suggestions would be welcomed!

I really do not know which way or where to turn for the best!! Any help or advice would be extremely gratefully accepted!

Many thanks,

Stephen
(theharrier)

Sqwark2000
9th Jan 2003, 00:45
Harrier,

In NZ you can't get a frozen ATPL as our licensing system is completely different to yours and Europe's JAR.

In NZ you have to accumulate 1500TT with all subjects complete then sit a flight test, usually in a big nasty expensive twin that you wouldn't contemplate spending your own cash for in the first place.

90% of NZ pilots gain their ATPL's through command upgrades with airlines, the other 10% are usually co-pilots going offshore to a foriegn carrier (Cathay) who require a ATPL prior to joining the company. The ATPL is a lot easier to convert that resitting crap loads of foriegn exams!)

Job prospects are looking up, but they have never been as good as those with UK CAA/JAR licences in the UK or the like. A couple of years ago, chaps with 250hrs experience where getting right seat jobs in B757's etc, in NZ you'd be lucky to qualify for an instructors rating with 250hrs.

Not sure what the average experience for regional jobs is now in the UK etc, but in NZ you don't get a sniff until 1500TT incl. 500 multi.

You could however check out a few options.

Bae Systems in Adelaide, Australia is approved for JAR flight training and you could get the same UK license for cheap, but it won't get you a job in Oz or NZ with the low total time you will have.

Simuflight in AUckland, NZ has recently been awarded a contract to train sponsorship pilots for Easyjet (?). SO they must have some sort of approval for JAR training. Check out their website for any info. If nothing there try Easyjets sponsorship pages on their site which will lead to the right place.

The US has always been JAR friendly, apparantly cheaper than Europe I've heard.

The crux of it is there's no shortcut to be gained by coming Downunder. It may be finacially advantagous to do your JAR training in Oz or NZ but you won't get a job as quick as you might in Europe.

Still, the rewards await those with determination and it will happen.

Cheers

S2K