PDA

View Full Version : Flight Training / Job Opportunities In New Zealand/ Australia for a UK citizen!?

theharrier
8th Jan 2003, 21:15
Hi there!

I'm 19 and a UK citizen with a JAA Class I Medical certificate, South African PPL and Night Rating with approx 100hrs TT and a burning desire to progress with my flight training to ATPL level. Now I know a lot of people will no doubt be wondering why I'm not posting in the Wannabes Forum but thats because I'm really after more specific information.....

My dilemma is this : Do I risk upwards of £60, 000 (which would take some getting hold of in the first place) and gain a JAA ATPL (frozen) in Europe and then go on to face the enormous cost of staying current etc. in my quest to find employment on next to no hours OR do I train for a foreign ATPL - either Australian or New Zealand - for considerably less and where I've heard employment prospects are reasonably good? Incidentally if you know this to be untrue, please let me know!!

Do any of you know of Brits Down Under who have managed to find airline or even charter work? Are there flight training schools that any of you are involved with / would recommend? Do you happen to know if it is possible for foreign citizens to fly for companies on temporary work permits ie. without permanent residency in NZ/Aus? Any other suggestions would be welcomed!

I really do not know which way or where to turn for the best!! Any help or advice would be extremely gratefully accepted!

Many thanks,

Stephen
(theharrier)

UK-Kiwi
9th Jan 2003, 12:11
Check out:

www.workingin-newzealand.com/ (http://www.workingin-newzealand.com/)

This is a good "portal" site, or go direct to:

www.immigration.govt.nz (http://www.immigration.govt.nz)

From my own browsing of NZ schools on the web many of them appear to be approved by the NZ Qualifications Authority, ie they would be valid courses for a Student Visa.

I can't give any views on the aviation work or school side as I'm a complete newbie.

Like the UK, I suspect NZ is the same, a student visa is pretty simple, easy to get, and trying to get a work permit is a whole different, difficult ball game, good luck.

VRB03KT CAVOK
15th Jan 2003, 07:00
Stephen,

Coming to Oz to train yourself up to a CPL / Instrument rating standard could work well for you as you could save yourself a considerable amount of money. You could then convert your Instrument Rating to a JAA equivelent later on and sit your JAA ATPLs.

There is no shortage of pilots in Australia so the competition is tough for a low hour pilot.

Best of Luck...

HabibBro
17th Jan 2003, 01:33
Correct the training down here in OZ is going to cost you less in the short term however young guys with Min CPL's are stepping on each other for that lucky break, that 1st job....very tough. Then down the track if you wanted to go home and convert to JAR then you would be slugged another $25K for the honour to get your UK licence in your motherland as the OZ licence not recognised for much up that way. Damned if you do...damned if you dont! GA in OZ is a long tough road. Good Luck either way.;)

DeltaT
19th Jan 2003, 05:28
I've been back in NZ from UK nearly 4 months now, with 1570hrs TT, and I can't get a flying job, even drove 4000km knocking on doors.

And even though I am a kiwi, with having the English accent, the very first thing I was -always- asked is ' you're not a kiwi are you?'

You can forget flying in the lower South Island too, they want 50hrs local flying in the mountains (incl mountain course) before they will look at you.

UK-Kiwi
19th Jan 2003, 12:11
Hi DeltaT,

What's with the questions to you about being a Kiwi?
It sounds negative, as if UK aviation looks down on Kiwi's or training/flying in NZ, is that what it sounds like???

My experience, (in London and the IT industry) is that being a kiwi, or South African for that matter, gets you the contract before most others. I don't mention Aussies as they all seem to be accountants :)

DeltaT
23rd Jan 2003, 06:34
Think you may have got your wires crossed, uk kiwi, the questions were coming from NZ outfits here in NZ. They seemed more ok about me once I explained I was originally from here.
As for Uk outfits, guess you must have struck it lucky, the IT field really wants you to prove yourself first, and that aside I couldn't get a IT contract for the past year, hence another reason for returning to NZ, and you will also find that some of the Uk airlines have been burnt by kiwis leaving them quickly, and are a bit loathe to look at more.
IF you know of jobs there in Uk right now, let me know!!
Good luck

big buddah
23rd Jan 2003, 19:58
Delta T
You need 50hrs local time and mountian course in the lower south for your survival.Those who do it get jobs.those who don't go back up north and bitch and moun.So don't be typical and turn around and go home.It's not about total time!!!!!
Uk-Kiwi,
Sorry I haven't replyed to your private message been away.

Sharfted Groundhog
24th Jan 2003, 00:14
Crikey, Big Buddah! Sounds like your the one with the attitude problem, not Delta T! All he was doing was stating an obious fact for someone that isn't here to know it him/herself.

If you are flying in the beautiful south; get a grip, don't take it for granted and be thankful that you had the time and money to be able to do the mountain flying required! Some people (and this may include Delta T) don't have that luxury and maybe had to look elsewhere.

I'm also sure that not every pilot who does the flying is taken on by the local operators - or else there would be an absolute glutton of pilot sitting around down there all cutting each other's throats to get the flying (more than normal!:D )

Give the guy a break. He was only stating a fact - no different than someone who states that there are a huge amount of young instructors at Ardmore all ready to race each other to the prospective student walking in the door at their particular training establishment!

The Harrier- best of luck. Personally, I'd keep it as a hobbie and take up something with more long term stability!

Wizofoz
24th Jan 2003, 01:37
Harrier,

Also remember the factor of right of abode/work visa. Empire or no you can't just come to Australia and start working. Getting any form of long term Visa may be a problem.

UK-Kiwi
24th Jan 2003, 08:39
I have to back up wizofoz.
I didn't want to blatantly say you've no chance hence giving you the web addresses.
But from my knowledge of the UK (I'm on a work permit) and of my girlfriend trying to get in the NZ, I would say "not a chance of getting a work permit as a pilot"

I'm in the UK under the IT skill shortage, (which the government has officially decided no longer exists).
Does any country in the world have a skills shortage or inability to fill pilot posts???? (besides maybe certain Middle East countries, but then they have other methods to ensure recruitment :)

DeltaT, yep wires were crossed, cheers.

DeltaT
25th Jan 2003, 09:09
mmmm, think you would have to hit up an employment centre to find out a particular country/skill shortage combination. Another idea would be to ring around the embassy circuit.
As for a pilot shortage in a certain country, I do not know of one or I'd be there! I too like someone else posted have tried from Antartica to the back of beyond.
Did you know they even want 2500hrs min for the Falkland Islands?!

UK-Kiwi
25th Jan 2003, 11:48
Nah, I was joking around, who'd fancy flying for Saddam in "peace" let alone later this year.