PDA

View Full Version : FS 2002 3d acceleration

SuperOwl
8th Jan 2003, 20:28
It isn't a problem as such, but when I go into the display settings on FS2002 and look on the hardware page, there is an option to turn 3d acceleration on or off. As a default it is set to on. The thing is, if I try to turn it off, a pop up box appears stating that my system cannot run 3d acceleration and that "Safe mode" has been enabled. I check the software for the graphics card and it says that the card is functioning properly.

My system is a 2Ghz P4 with 256mb ram (which I will double shortly) with a NVidia Geforce 4 MX420 64mb graphics card. As far as I am aware my system should run 3d acceleration. I have downloaded the latest driver from NVidia and this has not worked. I have seen on one of the acrobat files with FS2002 that NVidia drivers may have a problem with FS2002 and refers me to the NVidia website and then I still don't find anything.

A long shot I know but if anybody knows how to rectify this and can advise me I will be most grateful. As I said at the start of the post, it is not a problem as such but if the full potential of my system is not being utilised who knows what I could actually be missing? Probably not that much.;)

Hope you all had a good p1ss up over the new year.:D

ratsarrse
8th Jan 2003, 22:11
I think you misunderstood the message. It is saying that if you turn off the hardware acceleration don't expect FS2002 to run very well. You definitely want hardware acceleration turned on in other words.

With the little hardware acceleration box checked, Flight Sim is able to use all the bells and whistles on your graphics card. With it unchecked, your graphics card will be just going through the motions, your processor will have to do all the work, and the game will be apalling.

timmcat
9th Jan 2003, 13:34
Can't quite see why you would want to turn it off.. I've the same graphics card on a 2.53ghz p4 with 512mb and with all the scenery / complexity sliders hard over to full, and all the other effect boxes ticked, and the absolute slowest frame rate I have seen is 35 FPS, normal running 60 to 80, up to well over 100. This with the latest Nvidia drivers.

Tim

SuperOwl
10th Jan 2003, 08:04
Thanks for the replies.

Ratsarse: I think I did mis-understand the message like you said. I think if the message had been "Your system cannot run 3d acceleration as you have disabled it" I would have understood. I thought it meant that my system was totally incapable of running it.

Timmcat: I only tried to turn it off to see what it would run like without it when I got the confusing message(to me anyway).

Thanks again

Heathrow09L
10th Jan 2003, 19:46
I was exactly the same I miss understood the thing about ticking the Graphics Card

I am using the following:

Windows 98SE
Pentium III 933MHZ
384MB RAM
GE FORCE 4 MX420 NVIDIA 64MB
FS2002 STANDARD
30.82 NVIDIA DRIVER
DIRECTX 8.1B

When using PSS A320 I keep getting crashes saying "FS2002 caused a general protection fault in module DIBENG.DLL.

I keep getting that message randomly, I've tired the following but no luck.

UNINSTALL AND RE INSTALL PROGRAME SUCH AS FS2002, PSS AIRBUS, DIRECTX.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

ratsarrse
14th Jan 2003, 21:11
Could be a problem with your graphics card drivers. Try reinstalling them. This has some more info:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=179160