PDA

View Full Version : Any Linux<->Windows networking experts out there?

Mac the Knife
8th Jan 2003, 19:55
Any Linux<->Windows networking experts out there?

3 machines on the 100 network, an XP-Pro, a 98SE and a Suse Linux 8.0 - theWinboxes communicate fine and the 98SE has the shared (ICS) 56K modem (no broadband out here). All TCP/IP using DHCP from the Winboxes and everone can ping each other. The XP and Opera on the Linux box get onto the Internet via the 98 just fine. Samba seems to be working OK on the Linbox 'cos I can mount the Winboxes drives and see 'em no problem, but how do I get them to see the Linux box? SWAT won't work because of some darn port conflict that I can't resolve so presumably I have to get my smb.conf file right by myself. I've added/changed what I think should work, but no joy. I've read I don't know how many HOWTOs & I'm getting confused now as it should be fairly simple.

Any ideas anyone?

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
8th Jan 2003, 21:42
Mac,

Send me a PM and I'll take a look at your smb.conf if you like.

Mac the Knife
20th Jan 2003, 18:57
Yeeeehaaa! Sorted!

No word from RTFM, but all the boxes can now see and talk to each other happily. Now posting from the SUSE box connecting to my ISP via Windows ICS and the modem on the 98SE box.

Bit of work with Google and a passel of configuration files and services but not excessively terrible. Quite interesting getting SUSE to join up smoothly into a mixed environment - 3.11 (WfWG), 98SE and NT/XP.

A D- for SUSE 8.0 on this aspect (a A for installation though) - a walk-you-through wizard would have been easy to construct. I certainly wouldn't have managed if I were a complete newbie to OSes and networking.

Now all I have to do is sort out the network printers and get all the Truetype fonts installed (the default screen fonts are awful).

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
20th Jan 2003, 19:58
Mac,

Apologies for the lack of response -- had to go away for a few days and was deprived of internet connectivity in the process :(
Looks like you've got it sorted, though :)