PDA

View Full Version : Dale Elliot (Adelaide)

Naverick
8th Jan 2003, 05:21
G'day all,

Dale ( G.A.M. Adelaide base ) was involved in a motorcycle accident on xmas day.

He fractured the base of his spine and will probably never walk again. Dale had only started with GAM last Aug and it was his 1st full-time flying position. Before GAM, he flew charters for Air South.
He is also a LAME.

Dale is immensely popular with the aviation folk in AD and truly is the life and soul of every event he attends.

This is obviously a major blow for Dale and his wife Erica, but He's maintaining his sense of humour. Two days after the accident his words to me were ''at least I'll be able to use those disabled parking spaces now". For those of you that don't know him that's a typical Dale statement and his general attitude to life.

For those of you that would like to make a financial contribution, a fund has been started, without his knowledge. They are feeling the pinch a bit at the moment. Account details are:

M A Weiss ITF Dale Elliot Commonwealth Bank
BSB 065000 Acc. 10610030

He is currently at the Hamstead Rehab Centre, tel 08 8222 1905.

Feel free to contact me thru pprune if you wish to know more.

Cheers

OpsNormal
8th Jan 2003, 07:02
Naverick,

Is this the Dale Elliott that was flying skydivers for a while down there in SA?

I hope not. :(

Naverick
9th Jan 2003, 00:29
OpsNormal,

Dale used to fly Jumpers down near Victor Harbour. I've forgotten the name of the airfield.

As I said, He's in good spirits & grateful for phone calls.

Cheers

bboy
9th Jan 2003, 05:54
I've thrown a few dollars in to the kitty.

I don't know Dale, but all the best for him and his family.

I hope all ppruners respond in kind.

Cheers

OpsNormal
9th Jan 2003, 07:37
Thanks Nav, Goolwa was the airfield from memory.

I'm gonna be in Adelaide next Friday, and if possible I might say "gidday". I'll call first.

Thanks again Naverick.

Hottie
9th Jan 2003, 14:03
Firstly, Naverick it is great to hear from you again and to read your expressive and meaningful post regarding one of aviation's truly loved members - Dale Elliot.

I was very disappointed to hear of the tragic news which Dale experienced on Christmas Day, and it saddened me immensely to learn of the final diagnosis relating to the 'Karaoke King' possibly not being able to walk again, ever.

For those who haven't had the fantastic pleasure of meeting such a terrific bloke, Dale, a dear friend to many, truly is the life of any party. From cranking up a party with his general humour and wit, carrying out AWARD WINNING original Karaoke presentations of 'Ice Ice Baby' (which left us in amazement and hysterics - Dale REALLY is gooooood !) , to simply being there and doing everything he possibly could to help anyone. You see, Dale is such a kind and helpful person that he seldom waits for someone to beg of his help cause it is well known that he would be there to assist you in whichever way before you even approached him... this is the kind of person Dale is.

For those who may know, after having left Kendell Airlines (Adelaide) to pursue a position with Eastern Australia on Dash8's, based in Sydney, there was an occasion where I planned to visit Adelaide to meet up with family and friends. Through the kindness and generousity of his heart, Dale fully organised a ride for me to ADL and return to SYD on a Horizon Airlines HS748...and what a buzz that was. But only because of Dale. On an earlier occasion, I had the pleasure of being flown to Melbourne as a passenger on a Chieftain with Dale, saving unnecessary expenses on fares and also having the pleasure of flying with Dale, which was a truly memorable experience....even the train ride from Latrobe Valley ;) ! But only because of Dale.

Dale - you will always be a best mate to me. You have been there for me and I wish to assure you that I, and everyone else for that matter, will ALWAYS be there for you. My recent transfer overseas has not distanced our friendship but moreso has and always will strengthen it. I may not be near you as often as I would prefer but rest assured that my visits to ADL in the near future will see us continuing where we last left off at Glenelg Backpackers :)

YOU are a true gentleman, and legend ; a person with real strength of heart. I cannot think of many people who possess such fine qualities. Some would say 'The Sky is the limit' or any other phrase which pertains to their passions/interests. Dale, with you, there never has been or never will be any limit ! YOU ARE MY HERO.

Take care, dear buddy.

You can look forward to further correspondence from me. Please keep in touch my friend, as I always will.

Kindest Regards,

A mate forever.

apache
9th Jan 2003, 22:07
Guys, just an update for you. Firstly thanks to all who have contributed so far, a big thank you. Whilst it is only early days in our fundraising efforts, we are doing admirably.
I went to see Dale yesterday, and he was in magnificent spirits, and wanted to thank everyone who has been to see him / ring him.
To answer a few questions, yes Dale was dropping meatbombs out of Goolwa, he used to be in the Australian army, was a LAME at BAe Parafield, and was doing casual charters with Air South before landing his first ever full time job (flying) at GAM's.... his career is now over.

On a Side note, I would like to pass on that the owner of Air South has told dale that when he is ready, there will be a full time job for him at Air South, running the office, organising maintenance etc. .... GOODONYA MK!!!

Guys and girls...thank you again for your support, and if you can spare a dollar, or even two, please think about Dale.

Pinky the pilot
10th Jan 2003, 03:05
I've known Dale for some years now and was somewhat upset to hear of his accident. I spoke with him last night and was deeply impressed with his attitude to the situation he's found himself in.
'It's happened; I don't like it but can't do anything about it so I'll deal with it. Let's get on with life' seemed to be his attitude. To say that I admire this is a massive understatement.
As someone who has suffered similar spinal injuries ( with one big difference, I can still walk) I know just how lucky I am, and in more ways than one.
I intend to call in to see him when I can and also will add a few dollars to the fund.

"I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a Man who had no legs"

KeroSemen
14th Jan 2003, 09:50
I would like to start by saying I'm very pleased to read all the wonderful remarks about the bloke we all love so dearly!

Dale is one of those 1-in-a-billion types that we are blessed to meet only once in a lifetime.

I have known Dazza for close to two years.During this time we have all enjoyed listening & watching him strut his stuff as 'Karaoke King'at the Backpackers!;) As in Austin Powers: 'Women want him & Men want to be him!' A truly charming gentleman irresistable to the babes!:cool:

Dale has always been there for me too.He has a BIG heart of GOLD-Never too busy to help out a mate! On countless occasions
he has been a shoulder for me to lean on;a pillar of advice & support.

I had the pleasure of accompanying Dale on a night freight run not too long a go.To say that I was impressed with his flying abilities would be an understatement.His dedication & tenacity are the unrivalled attributes in his application to both his professional & personal life.

Dale has taught me the true meaning of friendship & love.You have the RIGHT STUFF!:D Always positive in your approach to anything & everything!

I,like all your buddies,look up to you as a hero;MY HERO,& MY MATE FOR LIFE TOO!

The Very Best To You DAZ MAN & your lovely wife Erica.WASSUP DAZ?!:p

dazzassis
14th Jan 2003, 22:20
Dear ppruners,

Thank you all for your wonderful words of support and encouragement for Dale. As his big sister I know too well the unique qualities that Dazza has and his ability to understand and teach people.

He is going along ok, everyday another small hurdle is overcome. It will be a huge challenge for him and us his family however he has wonderful mates in the aviation industry that are helping him. Thank you all. Please keep doing what you are doing.

I can remember when Dale was about 6 years old and we used to drive to Adelaide from the Riverland and as we used to pass by Parafield Airport we would all have to spell out letters of the trees. Dale used to say to us all that one day he would fly a plane, it was his dream. He acheived that dream learning to fly at 16 years of age and has been living his dream for the last 10 years.

Dale will fly again one day, his dream 'temporarily on hold'. To those that know 'Dazza D' or the 'D Man' we will not accept that he will not walk again one day. His stength of character and his passion for flying will see him at the cockpit of a 747, I beleive that with all my heart. We love him so much.

Dazza reads these notcies so please drop him a line if you can find a couple of spare minutes in your day.

Many thanks

Hottie
15th Jan 2003, 03:14
Before going on, I would like to once again send my regards to a legend - Dale, as well as pass on my best wishes to Erica and families.

It is great to hear that Dale is crossing the all necesary hurdles, as one would expect. Being the courageous and dedicated individual that Dale is, one cannot imagine that Dale wouldn't pursue his lifelong dream - to fly a 747 !

Dale, my current studies toward the abovementioned can only be dedicated to YOU... every time I put pen to paper, or place the mind into overdrive, I think of you and dedicate all my efforts to you - MATE, we all like achieving our dreams, be they materialistic or otherwise, but this one I am currently achieving is a joint venture. This one is for YOU, and I. So do ME a favour ? Hurry up will you ? I cannot hang on to these study notes for you for too long ;) They will always be available to you, whenever you want them, as well as any other goodies I am trying to collect.

Take care my friend. I will remain in contact as much as possible. Mr KeroSemen has my contact details which I am sure he would be glad to pass onto you.

Kick goals my friend,

A mate forever.

bboy
15th Jan 2003, 06:55
Caitlin,

Was very saddened to hear of your brothers accident.

Therese and I feel both for your family during this tough time.

By the sounds of it he is a tough customer and will not let this get him down.

bboy

KeroSemen
15th Jan 2003, 09:00
Great piece of reading....very encouraging stuff dudes!

Dale,I believe that like Hottie (the Bast..d's revieled my identity:DOH!!);) & your sis,& everyone else: YOU will be polluting the sky again!:D It just wouldn't be the same with out you saying :"WASSUP??"or "WASS-HAPPENIN'!" Only this time you'll be burnin' Kero my good friend & thus polluting the Flight Levels:;) So let me dedicate my new found title: KEROSEMEN to you mate!!

I think Hottie's suggestion is grand!:cool: So what I propose is this:I would also be honoured to dedicate my next venture to YOU & YOU getting back in the saddle!That's what you were born to do man! So whatever my next one is-I shall at least spraypaint your name beneath the captain's window in honour of the D-MAN!

So DAZ,GOD SPEED to you buddy:I will always save a seat for you !!

Kindest Regards

The Pizza Delivery Boy!

dazzassis
18th Jan 2003, 22:32
Hi all,

Thank you once again for all your support to Dazza. He has had a rough weekend, having his collarbone pinned so it will heal quicker. The staff at Hampstead rehabilitation Centre have allowed 'Jack', Dale and Erica's border collie to vist him which he loves.

Thank you so much to Chris Both from Adelaide who walked in to Dale's room on Thursday and gave him a cheque for $2000.00. Dale had completed some work on one of Chris's planes. When Chris gave Dazza the chq he said that 'I couldn't afford to pay you at the time what you are worth but I can now so I hope this helps you guys out'!! For the first time in his life, Daz was speechless!:eek: For those that know Dale for him to not be able to say anything is a major thing!!

He has got a laptop set up in his room so he will access your messages and emails.

Cheers.

Master of the House
20th Jan 2003, 04:04
Hi all! This is Master of the house's girlfriend. It was really great seeing Dale today and having a good chat to his mum. :) Master of the House and I were chatting in the car on the way home and we both agreed that Dale is doing remarkedly well. He remains very positive despite the numerous complications he's had to endure following the latest operation. Hamstead is quite nice (especially compared to the main hospital!), and the staff seem really friendly, so we're hoping that'll help Dale in his recovery. Dale tells us he'll be in rehab until April.

Erica - Love the Dunlops!:p Hang in there. Let us know if you need anything.

Dale - There aren't a lot of moments when we don't think of you. We'll see you again soon (When we get back from the east coast)

To our other friends - You guys are great! Keep up the good work.:D

barleyhi
30th Jan 2003, 03:20
Dale

If you read this email me about a Shrike with hand controls - may be of interest to you

Best wishes for a speedy recovery

Barleyhi

apache
6th Feb 2003, 06:17
A big thanks first of all to all who have popped in and seen Dale, or rung him to offer their support. As Dazzassis says, Dale is in extremely good spirits (all things considered) and he spoke to me the other day about maybe doing an instructor rating, and continuing his career in this way..... Don't forget, that all this is less than 6 weeks after the accident !

Secondly, thanks to all who have donated to the bank account, it is going great guns, and I know that Dale reads this, so I shan't post an amount (yet) as we wish to give him a cheque on his Birthday which is in a fortnight. Dale knows about the account, and says to say thanks to all, but doesn't yet know the amount!

Will keep you all updated with details as pertinent.

apache
19th Feb 2003, 08:28
Guys and Girls, once again a big thank you to all who have contributed. As Dales Birthday is this weekend, the account will be closed on Friday afternoon so that we can give Dale the cheque.

ALSO... a HUGE thank you to GREG SMITH, CHRIS DAWES and the guys at SA SKYDIVING who raised over $800 the other weekend by donating $1 from every jumper who skydived at Murray Bridge (Rollos).

I am sure that Dale thanks you all for your generosity

Any last minute donations can still be made at the commonwealth bank till midday Friday.

Hottie
19th Feb 2003, 14:06
Dale,

Once again I find some time to browse through the forums here and read of your progress, which pleases me immensely. I am most excited to read the posts above and hear of the fabulous news pertaining to the past several weeks.

Before going on mate, I would like to wish you, from the great depths within, a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY in advance ! I sincerely wish I was in Adelaide to share it with you and family, however duties here prevent me from doing so.... :(

I wish to extend my best wishes to yourself, Erica and all family members. You are in my thoughts constantly mate.

Take care & kindest regards from abroad,

A lifetime mate.