PDA

View Full Version : average time to finding work? - Please complete

Bluebaron
6th Dec 2001, 13:57
As i said in : http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=011725

.....Just to try and give the new guys out there an idea of just how long it takes to find a job after completeing your IRT, please fill in the boxes! :D

time looking - nearly 4 years
hours at present - 1200
interviews to date - 3
any other interesting facts - bumped from Britannia course on November 05th :(

hope this helps you guys.

[ 06 December 2001: Message edited by: Bluebaron ]

Matthewjharvey
6th Dec 2001, 14:30
Full of the joys of spring aren't we. Those people that are pessimistic will not get jobs, it is all to do with attitude. Positive people tend to make their own luck, look on the bright side.

Polar_stereographic
6th Dec 2001, 14:43
The Greaser

Spot on. I'm with you on that.

PS

Wee Weasley Welshman
6th Dec 2001, 15:11
With respect - you can have the suniiest disposition in the world but if nobodys hiring then you ain't going to get a job... Bluebaron thank you for sharing your experience with us and good luck for the future.

Polar_stereographic
6th Dec 2001, 15:21
Yes,

I think everyone is aware of that.

But, when things change - and they will.

Lets face it, when interviewing someone, would you take someone with a positive attitude over someone with a less positive one?

I've done a bit of recruiting in my time (non aviation) and I know which one I'd offer a job to.

PS

Bluebaron
6th Dec 2001, 18:08
I think some-one got the wrong end off the stick. I'm quite happy to go plodding on looking for work, i'm just trying to give the new guys a picture of what to expect before they spend 60 grand on flight training.

sorry i bothered!! :confused:

[ 06 December 2001: Message edited by: Bluebaron ]

Polar_stereographic
6th Dec 2001, 18:30
Bluebaron

Sorry if the replies start going a bit off topic. Not aimed at you specificaly, but for my part just trying to inject a bit of hope. Yes I know there are no jobs out there (ZZZZzzzzzzzzz....), but it will change and it's those with the positive vibes who will be the first in work.

As for the boxes, I can't fill them out really. I looked for a job for a few years (early 90's), but then the family came along coupled with a well paid IT job, I went off the idea.

Well, the situation has changed (particularily IT, plust the family is less demanding), I'm revalidating my licences and will look for something next year.

BTW, I had a BCPL in the days you could get type rated on bigger stuff, but by the time I'd done the 700 hours (and now CPL) and an IR, the goal posts had moved, so I needed to get back to school for the ATPL writtens. Thanks Belgrano for that.

Optimistic? Yes, I need to be. I'll be 41 next year, still got to shell out loads on renewing an MEIR and MCC, and then hope that something comes up in the present climate. Once I get the job, I've got to work out how to support the family on a much reduced income, but I'm working on that as I write.

Funny thing is, I'm more optimistic now than I was 10 years ago.

Watch this space

PS

scroggs
6th Dec 2001, 18:35
Bluebaron,
the four years that you have spent looking for a job have been probably the most fruitful years in civil aviation since the late 1940s. Why you didn't succeed is something I can only speculate on (but I won't), and you may already have some idea about that, but it's probably fair to say that any job-search experience of the last few years is now fairly irrelevant as the marketplace has changed so much.
I'm not trying to belittle your contribution, but right now it's as useful as someone telling us how they got into Easy with 3.5 hours and three vouchers from Tescos last summer! What we need is stories (true ones, please) of what people are experiencing right now, and what they're being told by potential employers about their prospects for the near future.

Michael Jeffs
7th Dec 2001, 03:13
Could somebody actually answer the questions asked in this thread instead of adding opinions. I suggest you all read the question again and try to help Wannaby's

Meatbomber
7th Dec 2001, 12:27
PPL, 4 years -> CPL/IFR/ME bout 400 hours ... 99% towing gliders

2 weeks after CPL, started Freelancing with Skydive Operation on Shorts Skyvan

8 month Freelancing with about 200 Hours on the Shed, now being full time employed by the same outfit

Wee Weasley Welshman
7th Dec 2001, 14:09
I am actively trying to help out some self sponsored Jerez graduate ex-students of mine. Basically they are not getting responses from CV's sent to airlines. Nobody small is hiring and with no experience they are finding no flying school is willing to take them on as FI's apart from one chap who was already friendly with the owner.

Most are diving off into whatever best paid work they can find, some have tried airport ground jobs but these are also being cut back. One or two are attempting to go the Cabin crew route and the low costs are hiring in that area. Its difficult though because the Charters are laying off lots of cabin staff who obviously have experience. So far the unemployed low time pilots are finding encouraging noises from cabin crew recruiters - who though wary that these applicants will be away on their toes as soon as the upturn comes - quite like the idea of having cabin crew who can actually fly the plane and might procede from the rear galley to the forward and on up to the flightdeck within the same company.

I would not be suprised if BA started taking its Cadets in again in the Spring with new applications being accepted next Autumn from what I hear inside BA.

scroggs
7th Dec 2001, 16:49
Mr Jeffs
Are you suggesting that the opinions expressed by myself, WWW and others are not helpful to wannabes (note the spelling - it's in the title of the forum)? As I said in my previous post, the experience of any ex-Wannabe from before this autumn is likely to be highly irrelevant to the plight of those currently looking for jobs. What we need is information from those currently in the jobs market, whether wannabes or employers. Answering 4 questions (which aren't posed in this thread) without regard to the current situation is not likely to help anyone. Rather like your attitude, really.

[ 07 December 2001: Message edited by: Scroggs ]

RVR800
7th Dec 2001, 18:22
I thing the meaning behind this thread
is that although things were cr@p before
Sep 11th You said as much Scroggs with your 'uncannily' accurate crystal ball -they are regrettably much worse now...

Wee Weasley Welshman
7th Dec 2001, 19:39
CAA medical section are still averaging around 70 Class One initial issues a month... So thats about 900 guys a year entering the arena. Some will bail out early. Most won't.

How many jobs are available each year is highly debatable.

My ballpark would be:

2002 - 200
2003 - 400
2004 - 600 back to normal.

You work out the maths allowing for the existing pool of pilots looking for work or under training.

prob30
8th Dec 2001, 00:45
As ever Uncle WWW you manage to put forward the facts as they are and your predictions look fair. Let the dispondent wannabees get on with it...it means us positive folk have got more of a chance! Nothing worse than a face like trowel at an interview.

Wee Weasley Welshman
8th Dec 2001, 15:52
Well, its kinda my job here. Thanks for the words of support.

Bluebaron
8th Dec 2001, 20:03
well as usual a post on this forum has gone way off subject.

I asked a simple question to give all the new guys thinking of training an idea of how long they may have to wait before employment and what experience levels are amonst the wannabes on this forum.

I expect better from a certain few.

So please could we now close this subject as it's not worth it now.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Michael Jeffs
9th Dec 2001, 02:00
"Mr" Sroggs

Thanks for your insulting reply (much the same as most of your replies really!)

I was merely stating that although there had been several replies to the thread, not one of them had been an answer to the question!

After my post, a couple of people actually answered the question. (Which on the face of it, is all I asked)

I fully take on board your comments about todays situation being different from years ago and agree with what you say, but, it would also help Wannabes (correct spelling you will note) to know how long it took people to obtain jobs (even in better times)

I would also like to state that opinions are important, I have read many of WWW's comments in the past and will probarbly take advise from them, although I have never really taken much notice of you until now.

I also noted that you replied to the thread twice. Neither of them answered any questions, and BOTH were insulting to the person whom you commented to. I think you will agree that your "opinion" in both cases were totally uncalled for and unnecessary. Which leads me to believe that it is you with an attitude.

If you want to pull people up on spelling and grammar, I suggest you read your first reply to this thread. I think you may remember that a sentence starts with a capital letter!!!

Anyway, I will leave it here as I think you will catch my meaning. I hope you take on board my comments, who knows, it may make you a better person.

Last point, if you have nothing nice to say, say nowt.

Thank You