PDA

View Full Version : Need help with FS2002!

bochen2k
7th Jan 2003, 18:01
Hello there,

I am not a pilot nor a expert simmer, I am just a regular microsoft FS sim player, also very interested in ATP, especially flying jumbo jets like 737,777,747... I have played Flight simulator 98,2000,and 2002, and tried to read each one of their readme and help and tutorial, but for a novice like me the manual is never detailed enough, it doesn't explain HOW to LAND a 737,or 777 or 747!!!!!!! The lessons talk too much about Cessna and stuff and not hardly enough about the larger jets. Like for example, I know how to land a 747 when it is exactly aligned to the centerline of runway, thats pretty easy, but what if I plan a flight, say from San Francisco Intl airplort to Tokyo or something like that, in a B747-400, and I use GPS and instrument nav and get the route and info all inputted, when I takeoff I switch to GPS and use the Autopilot and NAV functions to fly to Japan, but PROBLEM IS: The AP takes me directly to the airport without lowering speed or altitude! I fly over it every time, so if AP can't help me land it how do I know WHEN to disengage the AP and take manual control to land the airplane? Thanks!

[email protected]

jonathang
7th Jan 2003, 18:29
Is this for real :(

try www.flightsim.com

:confused:

High Wing Drifter
7th Jan 2003, 20:09
There is a book called "Flying the Big Jets" (or something near it) available at www.transair.co.uk. I have not read it so I cannot provide a personal recommendation. As for FS2002 specific sites, try also www.avsim.com. or www.flightsims.co.uk.

superpilot68
7th Jan 2003, 20:34
there are some very good addon like an A320 or B737 where u will learn how to use navigation with flight managment system and jet airways.
the planes on the FS2002 really suck and it worths to buy this addon softwares.
you can write me, I will give some name of company where u can purchase this excellent plane.and web site adress where u can download for free approch charts.

I am a FAA ATP pilot, and I play sometimes with my laptop to land planes.

[email protected]

scroggs
7th Jan 2003, 21:11
Please do not post topics about computer games in Wannabes. If you are unsure what topics are acceptable in Wannabes, please read this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52501) . It is placed prominently at the top of the forum, and should be read by every would-be poster before they commit finger to keyboard.

Scroggs
Virgin/Wannabes Moderator
[email protected]

ETOPS773
7th Jan 2003, 22:47
okay.firstly,bin the rubbish default planes.

Goto www.meljet.com and get yourself a nice b777-200er and a 747-400.Flight dynamics are alot better,handle more realistically.

Okay..planning you flight..plan it as normal..and go into the map section where the red line is showing your route. scroll along to the end / destination airport.zoom in until you can see ils/localiser.

Click on the red line and drag it over the localiser,then unclick.the line will now route directly from departure airport,to localiser..to destination airport.You can also change routing along the way using the clicking on the red line method.Try an easy flight like VHHH-WSSS,line up for 02L ILS approach,and try and land it manually.

P T Flea
8th Jan 2003, 00:00
As everyone here says: Default MS aircraft really suck.
They don't have any form of Flight Management Computer and no Vertical Navigation capability.

As a rule of thumb I don't buy addons for FS (I would rather spend the money on real flying), but then I bought the A320 addon from Phoenix Simulation Software. It rocks. It is commonly accepted amongst flight simmers and real pilots to be the most sophisticated and accurate single aircraft addon currently available. It even comes with an ITVV video on a A320 flight from B'Ham to Zakynthos (spelling?) to try and help you get to grips with some of the functions of the ECAM and EFIS.

http://www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk/

If you get to grips with this then you will feel ready to fly the real thing. It is a great way to get a feel for the aircraft's systems before doing a type rating. I had to chat to a Airbus pilot to understand what I was doing, but what the hey. If I do any flight simming now it is almost always in this.

If you can't be bothered to buy any addon and learn it then look in the FS help files, under the individual help for each type of aircraft it will tell you how to plan a descent in there. As a rule of thumb you are looking at about 3nm per 1000ft.

So if you are cruising at 30,000ft when you are about 90nm out from the airport you should decelerate to 240 kts and commence a descent at about a rate of 1700/1800 ft/min. Monitor the distance and height relationship and adjust the rate of descent accordingly.

Hope this helps,

PT

BAB2B
9th Jan 2003, 11:37
Would agree with last post re. PSS Airbus - outstanding package and easy to get going with it due to the excellent tutorial flights. I've been on Airbus jump seat rides and recognised everything they did, and used an Airbus ground simulator and incredibly was able to successfully complete a full flight based on PSS Airbus self teaching. Great fun, you just need to spend a few minutes setting up your flight on the flight computer which adds to realism anyway.

For a quick guide for landing the default jets do a google search for "cat 3 autoland fs2002 tutorial", there's a 737 one somewhere.