PDA

View Full Version : Atlas and Airbus talk about A380F

Po Boy
7th Jan 2003, 14:11
Atlas Air Discusses Purchase of Five Airbus A380s, Tribune Says
By Andrea Rothman

Paris, Jan. 7 (Bloomberg) -- Atlas Air Worldwide Holdings Inc., the largest shipper of freight for other airlines, is talking to Airbus SAS about buying five freighter versions of the new A380, La Tribune reported, without citing anyone.

The New York-based cargo carrier would be the third company to choose the freighter version of the A380. Fedex Corp. and aircraft lessor International Lease Finance Corp. have already placed orders for the plane, the newspaper said.

Atlas Air currently operates only Boeing Co. 747s, the newspaper said, but is looking at ordering five A380s, which will be the world's largest commercial aircraft when it begins service in 2006. Atlas is also considering taking an additional five options with deliveries set for 2007, 2008 and 2009.

General Electric Capital Aviation Services, a unit of General Electric Co. and the world's largest aircraft lessor, is also looking at the purchase of 10 A380s, La Tribune said.

(La Tribune 1-7 8)

Buster Hyman
7th Jan 2003, 23:08
La Tribune reported, without citing anyone.

Investigative reporting at it's finest!:rolleyes:

Now, I'm sorry if I'm covering old ground here Ratty, but does anyone know how Airbus intend to load the upper deck yet? I've been unable to see any reference to it on their website.

If it's not an internal system, one can only wonder how viable the aircraft will be considering the ground equipment investment required for MDL's, especially if there is a dearth of orders.:confused:

CR2
8th Jan 2003, 04:33
Atlas have been talking to Airbus for years about the -380F (even during MC's time).
Upperdeck loaded via an 8m (!) high maindeck loader still being designed by the major suppliers. I understand there are some stability issues at the moment.

Buster Hyman
8th Jan 2003, 09:51
I'm sure it will be compatable with 74F's, but who'd want to invest in such equipment for, perhaps, a weekly service (hypothetically). I suppose, unless the order book booms soon, the A380F will be a hub only aircraft. Charter work will be limited.

Tex
8th Jan 2003, 16:11
It sounds like it would be a great troop transport for the AMC contract.

Has anyone heard anything on classes at Atlas?

I was hired, but I got a call that the 6 Jan class was postponed.

Still waiting...

Heilhaavir
9th Jan 2003, 22:20
Seems like the Tribune didn't do it's homework:

Another U.S. cargo carrier, Atlas Air Worldwide <CGO.N>, said it had no plans to add any Airbus aircraft to its all-Boeing fleet of 52 747s, despite published reports.
"There's no truth to the rumor that we are ordering five Airbus 380s," said Atlas spokeswoman Rachel Berry.

Besides, where would they get the money ?

Pat

Waazuup!
10th Jan 2003, 23:50
Don't you know that by now Pat,

From POLAR, where else!!!!!!!:D Don't you know that by now Pat, POLAR

apu11
11th Jan 2003, 16:04
Why Polar - for those of us who dont know? Thanks.

Heilhaavir
11th Jan 2003, 23:32
Yeah why Polar Waazuup, enlighten us .... where would Polar get the money .... LOL

L8