PDA

View Full Version : Long Term Doxycycline

Paddle Steamer
7th Jan 2003, 13:54
The Dreaded Mossies

I have been been advised that the SA occupational health and safety act ensures that SA companies are now responsible for providing all reasonable and adequate means so as to prevent accident and disease whilst "on the job " for all employees.

Take this a few steps further and we see that SA aviation companies should now ensure that aircrew operating into known malarial areas, must now take DRUGS.

Considering that most aircrew do roughly one month on and a couple of weeks off this could lead to a situation where the aircrew member is on DRUGS for the rest of his/her flying career in Africa.

SO, my question is...even though the DR's all recommend the Doxy stuff and assure all of us that there are no long term side effects, has anyone amongst us actually taken the stuff the way it is supposed to be taken ( not with beer and suchlike ) and for a Loooooong time and are there any side effects that are showing themselves. Anything, for example, such as not being able to sleep at night ( that is an opening ha) etc.

It is one thing to read on a piece of paper but another to actually speak to someone who has had the experience.

Oh....I have done a comprehensive search for good gen but no real time experiences.
:D

JJflyer
7th Jan 2003, 16:35
Doxy stuff...

I took it for about 3 months. No bad effects. Had the craps for the first few days... Hey thats normal Africa for the first days anyways so whats the difference. Just stay clear of the frenc crap Savarin. Thats not good and I had all the effects from yellowness of skin and eyes as well as headaches and craps. I dropped that stuff alltogether and have never taken it or Doxystuff afterwards.

If you really must use something I recommend Doxy. Rather take nothing, spray yourself and wear long sleeves and pants.

skytops
8th Jan 2003, 02:29
I've been on doxy for 6 months straight, as recommended by my travel doctor.

So far I haven't experienced any side effects. I am cautious in the sun however - I understand doxy can make your more senstive to sunlight - my fair-coloured skin burns very easy as it is - so I take the doxy at night before I go to sleep - I figure that the effect might not be sop great by the next day - but I could be wrong (?).

My health has been great the last 6 months. in high malarial areas, whilst others (fellow ex-pat pilots in southern/central Africa) not on medication have been droppping like flies around me.

I've copped a lot of criticism from others for long-tern usage of an antibiotic, but I prefer to listen more to my doctor who tells me that it's safe to use doxycycline continuously for years...so long as you are male. Apparently not so for women.

Anyway - everyone is dfferent of course, in terns of how they react to medication. I can only speak for myself.

Paddle Steamer
8th Jan 2003, 14:10
Thanks for the Info Guys. I have been getting the same info regarding the sensitivity to sunlight but the thought of going onto an antibiotic for a lengthy period of time just goes against the grain.

Tassies is not an "anti - malarial" but it sure makes you sleep well!!
Sorry Guns....couldn't resist!!

B Sousa
8th Jan 2003, 19:28
Forget Tassies.....Lots of Tonic from your local Makro. Take a good slurp from the can and introduce quality Gin (Bombay Saphire) in the empty space. Now drink the full dose before doing it over and over with more "medication".
In all seriousness. My good friend Mr Broberg gave me some very good lessons beyond Medication. Sanitation and protection of your bedding is very important. Spend that extra time to spray your bedding and keep the mossie net tucked in. That extra time may save you some problems.

flyboy2
13th Feb 2003, 18:45
It so happens I've just completed an article all about malaria
from a pilot perspective.

I intend publishing it shortly & will advise in PpruNe when I succeed in doing so.

Gunship
13th Feb 2003, 21:10
Tx Flyboy .. hik .. can you do one on BABALARIA now as well please ;)

Paddle Steamer
15th Feb 2003, 08:06
Thanks,

Looking forward to reading your report.
Should be very interesting for all, especially the OPS directors and suchlike.
;)

4HolerPoler
15th Feb 2003, 12:33
There have been a number of very informative threads regarding malaria on both the Africa & Health forums over the past year. Use the search function to unlock a wealth of gen.

4HP

contraxdog
19th Feb 2003, 12:02
For what it might be worth I had the following relationship with Docyciline/Virbamicine/Cyclidox etc etc.

I took it every morning for 7months, (month on month off.) for 4 years. The side efects that I picked up follows:

1. Extreme Nausea if taken early morning on a empty stomach.
2. Persistent constipation wich caused painful heamoroids.
3.Sensitivity to the sun and I donth have too fair a skin.
4.Stiffness of the joints from fingers to knees and ankles and hipswhich became painful as temperature dropped.
5.No infections from Shaving cuts,
6.No smelly feet.
7.Low alcohol tolerance
8. No stomach bugs from bad food or unhigenic kitchens.
9.No malaria for 4 years with non takers falling around me.
10. Got malaria 2months after I stopped taking it due to doctors orders( he said I had malaria while I was taking but Docy suppressed it)
11.Had Malaria 3times since(still no Doxy)

Im not particularly pro or con

I find it easier to diagnose and cure the Malaria when I get it that is why I stopped.

Herc

gearupgone
23rd Feb 2003, 17:10
I was advised by my AME not to take any medication, but carry a small kit to treat the malaria - any flue like symptoms then start taking the treatment. He felt the unknow long term side effects were not worth the risk. Malaria is apparantly only really dangerous if left untreated for a while first.

Pesticide, skin repellant and a mossie net are the best preventions available. I also believe these little pests are only really active after sunset - but don't take this one as law! As my grandparents used to say - "good night, sleep tight, don't let the bugs bite".

I would be far more worried about Hepatitus - that you don't want - get your shots before your next flight (unless you have had them) It cost me 6 months of flying and 6 YEARS of NO tassies!

Cheers

Gunship
23rd Feb 2003, 20:26
Gearupgone ... exactly the way I work !

As 4HP said we have had a thread or two before on the forum where we all made our comments.

Mine was basically the same as yours.

I see the Brits here take Maloprim ? I thought that was banned long time ago - or did they sort the problems out ?

I am highly allergic to Maloprim - white bloud cells attack the red bloods or vice versa and I turn blue - damn strange ?

Re the Tassies ... it always keep the mossies away ... but I see lately it also keeps the Hepatitis away. Seriously on hepatitus - my wife had it 12 years ago - she can still not drink more than one dop and one coffe a day - NO chilli's or red / green peppers :}

Romeo Tango
24th Feb 2003, 08:25
I took Doxy for a one month trip to Africa last year. My aircraft has lots of perspex and skin on my left hand went funny.

I stopped taking the pills and it took a week or so to clear up.

I'll be taking Maloprim next time.

Perhaps I'll get a smart pair of white gloves for next time.

Romeo Tango

tired
28th Feb 2003, 21:19
gearupgone/Guns - what do you have in your "little kit" to treat malaria once it starts?

Airforce1
2nd Mar 2003, 14:23
Gearupgone- I find it strange that your AME told you that the long term unkown effects are not worth the risk.Surly it is worth getting a bit of sunburn,nausea or something then rather getting possible cerebral malaria and possibly dying....Once you have Malaria, you will always have it,severe or not

Paddle Steamer-I have used Daramal and Paludrine for long periods almost 5 months and then Doxy afterwards.By rotating the body on these different drugs over interval periods.I have not felt any real side effects except the nausea if on an empty stomach.
Over 2.5 years contract and have not yet gone down with the dreaded M,while others around have dropped like flys....

My only advice to you is:WEAR SUNSCREEN,dont start singing now

RobertS975
2nd Mar 2003, 18:08
Doxycycline will also keep the adolescent pilots from getting facial acne pimples, an added benefit. :D It is safe for women, but not during pregnancy and it can cause deformity and discloration of the child's teeth, even adult teeth.

JJflyer
4th Mar 2003, 19:15
On my last Africa adventure I used old trick... long sleeves and pants shoes and socks and sprayed my self with stuff that could kill an Olifant. I have Doxy pills with me, but only used it to combat a serious case of shaits. No Malaria and felt just fine all the time.

I am no doc and will not pretend to know their job. My feeling is that any long-term use of preventive medication cannot be all that good.

There is one medication that I recommend you steer clear. French crap called Savarine. Turned me yellowish and made me feel ill. Took a while to get over that after I stopped taking it.

Moerh

Islander Jock
9th Mar 2003, 05:57
I went to the travel doc the other day in anticipation of my departure for Angola next week. He dosed me up with everything for yellow fever, Hep B, polio and also enough Doxy 100 to last me two months. Tomorrow I have to go back for a typhoid shot but he is also recommending a meningitis vaccine as well. Anyone had this? Any thoughts one way or the other?

My accommodation and work environment will be modern and airconditioned so I suspect the malaria risk will be somewhat reduced. Like JJ Flyer I do have some concerns about long term effects of being on antibiotics.