PDA

View Full Version : Ansett 1936-2002 by Stewart Wilson

Raider1
6th Jan 2003, 23:36
I have just finished reading my Xmas pressie.... Stewart Wilsons book on the history of Ansett. (available from Australian Aviation) Not a bad read.
Many interesting facts bring back a lot of memories.
It could be argued that numerous events contributed to Ansett's eventual downfall but 2 things stand out in my mind:

One was the fact that under Reg the company spread the risks with ownership of 2 TV stations, 40 hotels and resorts, coach building, Diners Club, BIC,Avis , Pioneer, Light aircraft distribution etc. Under News/TNT these "non core" assets were sold at various stages- some at a fractional of the initial outlay eg Hayman Island. So when the going got tough there was no other income streams to help cover the shortfall.

The other was Air New Zealands attempt to digest a company the size of Ansett without anywhere near the required funds and then when the combined ship started to sink The New Zealand Governments refusal to allow a rescue by the cash rich Singapore Airlines.
Oh well as they say its all history now:mad:

Al E. Vator
7th Jan 2003, 12:38
Thought the book was just average. Some good photos and old ticket examples etc but too much journalistic opinion. Really just want the facts without embellishment the way some journo sees things.

Stewart Wilson is far too objective on a couple of issues which lets the book down badly. It's like Editorials in newspapers - who cares what some journo thinks, it's only the facts that matter.

That aside however, it's good that somebody has at last taken tne time to do this for Ansett, an Aussie icon and well deserving of a book. Now it's time for somebody to present a similar book on TAA.

elektra
8th Jan 2003, 01:34
I would love to know the following...

How much money made 1936 to 1988?

How much money lost 1989 to 2002?

Dogimed
8th Jan 2003, 02:10
Children, are we buckled in for another 89 ride!

Dog

Taildragger
12th Jan 2003, 22:08
Doggy ...... Please don't let's even joke about it......