PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping screener closes Sea-Tac!

Cyclic Hotline
6th Jan 2003, 22:34
I also hate it when this happens! :confused:

Asleep on the job! (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/134610095_breach06m.html)

Snoozing screener halts flights at Sea-Tac

By J.J. Jensen
Seattle Times staff reporter

Thousands of travelers were delayed yesterday at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport after a federal screener fell asleep on the job.

Fearing a possible breach in security, officials immediately evacuated all but one of the airport's five concourses and brought in bomb-sniffing dogs. Hundreds of people who had already passed through security checkpoints, including those who had boarded planes, were brought back and rescreened, said Bob Blunk, Sea-Tac's federal security director.

Some were upset; others were understanding.

Ultimately, nothing out of the ordinary was discovered. The sleeping screener, who was not identified, was placed on immediate leave and could be fired, pending the findings of a Transportation Security Administration investigation, said TSA spokeswoman Kirsti Dunn.

"It will be a thorough investigation," she said. "We're taking this very seriously."

Dunn said the incident occurred at the North Satellite exit area, where travelers leave airplanes and enter terminals. The screener, who came on duty at 5:30 a.m., was to watch the area and make sure no one entered where they should be exiting.

A fellow screener noticed him dozing about 6 a.m. and contacted officials. It was not known how long the man had been asleep, but officials estimate between eight minutes and half an hour.

Airport officials estimated more than 20 incoming flights were put in holding patterns and delayed as searches were conducted. Thousands of other travelers, on flights leaving Sea-Tac, also were delayed.

Only the B concourse, which is separated from the other concourses, remained open. All other concourses re-opened about 8:10 a.m. after being closed about an hour and 40 minutes.

Though screeners worked fast, travelers were still feeling the effects of the evacuation by midmorning. While many travelers were glad extra security precautions were taken, others were angry about the delays and the dozing screener.

Salina Williams of Los Angeles, who was in Seattle for a funeral, said she was concerned when she got a call from her daughter at 8:30 a.m., saying she had had to get off her 7 a.m. flight and go back through security.

"It scared the heck out of me," the elder Williams said. "I thought it might've been another terrorist."

John McGuire of Kent, who was dropping off his daughter for a flight to San Francisco, said airport security handled the situation well.

"It was a minor wait, nothing major, thank God," he said. "Safety is big. It's important. They should've been doing this years ago."

Screener Abdul Ahad said the incident should inspire other screeners to be more aware of what's going on.

"I think people are safer (because of screeners)," he said. "They seem to be a lot more calm and resolved because of the extra security measures TSA provides. Passengers have said they appreciate what we're doing and it's better to be sure the plane is 100 percent secure."

Avman
7th Jan 2003, 18:46
Please forgive me but I couldn't help but smile at the name of the Screener spokesman.

Departures Beckham
16th Jan 2003, 10:49
Would it not have made more sense (and still been as secure) to have simply replayed CCTV footage of the area to see if anything 'undesirable' took place? I find it hard to believe that an exit from a restricted zone would not have a camera fixed on it, and there would have only been thrity minutes of tape to watch.

PCMM
16th Jan 2003, 11:12
good to know screening makes the plane "100 percent secure"

...problem solved

whauet
16th Jan 2003, 21:24
Departures,

Just to answer your question, I travel through Sea-Tac very frequently, and yes, there are not only a couple of cameras in the area, it's an area 'secured' at both ends.

Basically it's a set of escalators that go up from the train tunnel to the baggage claim area and they have people posted on both floors to prevent anyone going the wrong way. The tunnel is awfully quiet very early in the morning and many times I have seen a 'screener' on the train level leaning back in their chair (which typically is moved just outside of view of anyone upstairs) appearing to be terribly relaxed.

This comes as no surprise to frequent travelers out of the North Terminal and the greatest 'surprise' is that it hasn't caused this kind of problem earlier and more frequently.

William