PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Pay

pilotwolf
6th Jan 2003, 18:59
I was wondering if any Virgin Atlantic staff out there can confirm or deny the following...

Someone very close was considering applying for VA cabin crew, flying from the UK, but has been told the following, which has put her off...

Cabin crew are not paid monthly, but in cash each trip, on arrival at their destination, in the local currency.

This of course means there is no money paid into the bank for the usual standing orders and direct debits and the employee covers the cost of any currency exchange on the return to the UK.

Would be grateful for any info as to whether this is true or if someone has given her duff info.

Thanks.

AViON calling!!
7th Jan 2003, 07:18
I think your friend may have a misunderstanding.

I do not work for Virgin Atlantic but know for a fact she will be on salary.

Money received at the hotel is their allowances. Most airlines pay you a per diem, which is a living away from home allowance, and includes living costs plus incidentals. Some airlines choose to deposit this into your bank account where as others may make it available to you upon check in, in local currency. This has nothing to do with your salary, and should have no affect to your yearly earnings. If she is smart she should be able to live off the allowances and save her salary, thats what most of us do, the allowances are huge in some ports.

pilotwolf
7th Jan 2003, 08:13
Thanks Avion Calling. I thought it probably was something like that.

Any Virgin crew who could confirm please?

High as a Kite
7th Jan 2003, 19:50
I am Virgin crew and what Avion Calling has said is spot on.

We do get our salary paid into the bank every month. On arrival at the hotel we receive our allowances in local currency - this is in addition to our monthly pay.

Hope this helps and your friend now decides to go ahead with their application.

pilotwolf
7th Jan 2003, 23:51
Thanks to you both. I ll pass the info onto her.