PDA

View Full Version : Best Car Phone Kit.

DistantRumble
6th Jan 2003, 16:01
Looking for a decent fitted car kit ?

Any ideas anyone. I don't want it to look cheap like most of the current crop do.

car : Lexus LS400 - phone Nokia 6310

Ta.

timmcat
6th Jan 2003, 16:26
I've got the standard Nokia kit (CARK-91) for my old 6150. (works with all 6*** models). Works great, looks OK, but much prefer original manufacturer stuff to spurious anyway. We paid around £180 I think.

Tim.

pilotwolf
6th Jan 2003, 18:52
Unfortunately....

I think you will be very lucky to find a proper Nokia compatable car kit below £150 + fitting, if you want proper handsfree, charging, external antenna and cradle.

That's what I paid for mine trade - but fitted it myself - fairly simple job which takes about 1 -2 hrs depending on how easy it is to remove and replace the car's trim.

Personally wouldn't bother with these cheap universal kits as sound quality is poor, there is a serious risk of interferance with the cars electronics and you get no external antenna = poor signal strength and increased RF levels within the car.

As usual yopu get what you pay for - but don't pay over the top...

colossus
7th Jan 2003, 18:57
Currently on my third self fitted car kit, over about 7 year period due to changes in car, 2 Nokia kits then an Ericsson. Reckoned that the Nokia kits where slightly better.

Go manufactures own kit every time, both for acoustic and build quality.

Check these guys out, both for range, and what appears to be competitive pricing

www.expansys.com

My install times appear to be inline with pilotwolf’s; it’s actually quite a rewarding simple task to do one afternoon

Good luck

AfgAirOps
8th Jan 2003, 02:47
D.R.,

If you know anyone whos passing through or in the gulf the going rate for a Nokia CARK-91 in Dubai is approx $100. There's a possibility (depending on your network) that you may need to buy a different aerial at home though.

As people have already said, installation is simple enough. Mine took a couple of hours but an awful lot of that was lifting (then refitting) the centre console to route wiring.

Cheers
RP