PDA

View Full Version : First step to fATPL.....15/01/2003

rocafellascunk
6th Jan 2003, 12:23
Hi all,
I am soon to take my first (and hopefully not my last) step towards (f)ATPL...... I have my Class 1 Medical booked on Jan 15th. For those of you that have cleared this hurdle, are there any do's and dont's in the build up to the event?
Also is there anyone out there who also has theirs booked for the same date?
Cheers

Crepello
7th Jan 2003, 13:02
Did my initial Class 1 yesterday. Everything looks ok, still waiting on the fluid analyses. After the xmas excesses, they could make interesting reading!

The advice is routine: For a day or two beforehand, reduce or eliminate the good things in life - booze, tobacco, caffeine, vindaloo, etc. Maybe take some light exercise and get several good nights' sleep. Oh, and try to have your blood pressure taken before you hand over the cash ;)

I wanted to get a true picture of how I really am. If I'm going to fail a medical, I'd rather do it now, rather than after blowing $$$ on training.

Edit: According to your profile, you're a doctor. ?!?!

rocafellascunk
7th Jan 2003, 14:31
Hi Crepello,
Thanks for your reply. Yes I am a doctor so the tests(and their interpretation) will not be unfamilar to me. I was just a little worried about any non-medical aspects such as what to bring, what to wear etc. I'm sure I am just fussing over nothing.
Best of luck with yours and thanks again.
Roca

Footsie
10th Jan 2003, 07:59
Had my Class 1 Initial yesterday. I opted for smart casual, i.e. no tie but no jeans. The other guys there (not for initials - one was a controller and I think the others were down for specific bits of renewals) were in jeans, tracksuits etc.

They're all very helpful and you've nothing to worry about. I don't think there's too much you can do to prepare beforehand - just turn up, relax and try to enjoy it.

I've had LASIK eye surgery so the bit I was not looking forward to was the eye test. This is very in depth - I was in there for over an hour. Mots of it I've seen before, but there's a test they do to check your contrast and peripheral vision which involves you staring at a computer monitor and watching for flashing 'C' characters that I found very tough.

The EEG was strange, but as a doc you'll know all about this.

They won't actually tell you on the day whether you've passed or failed as the EEG and chest X-ray have to be interpreted, but I was receiving positive vibes.

Got to say that I rather enjoyed my day out of the office, mainly because it involved taking the shuttle from Manchester to Gatwick. Coming back I had a chat with a My Travel captain who was on the same flight. Like most I meet, he didn't have a bad word to say about his job. Reminded me what it's all about.

rocafellascunk
10th Jan 2003, 08:17
Footsie,
Thanks for that. I feel a lot more relaxed now. I wear glasses/contacts so like you I am most apprehensive about the eye tests.
Good luck with yours
R