PDA

View Full Version : Ferry Flights(merged)

EchinodermusMaximus
3rd Sep 2002, 21:54
Hi all,

I just obtained my CPL/IR after an extensive and lengthy phase of PPL only flying. I have about 400 hours now, and am really wanting to tackle one of the last adventures in today's aviation world: transatlantic ferry flying.

Does anyone in this forum have any contacts or leads that could put me in touch with someone fortunate enough to know what it takes and where to find the ferry jobs?

Thanks!

Freak On A Leash
4th Sep 2002, 09:56
Hi EM,
I`ve been looking at that option myself, but there`s not much info around on the subject.I`ve found a couple of companies that offer the services (ads in GA Buyer, Air Jobs Digest), but their minimums a high - I`ve seen from their ads that their pilots have ATPLs and valid CFIs.It probably has to do with that you`re going to be flying somebody else`s aircraft over a great body of cold water, and you`ll need to have demonstrated a certain skill level.

You can also try www.ferrypilots.com but don`t get your hopes up:(

Drop me an e-mail or private message if you get a good response from anybody:)

EchinodermusMaximus
4th Sep 2002, 11:27
Maybe a JAA license is of advantage as opposed to an FAA license?

Not exactly an enchanting outlook, but ferrypilots.com has suspended all international ferry flights anyway. know why?

EM

AMEX
4th Sep 2002, 18:45
For insurance purpose, lots of ferry companies require their pilots to have completed an.... Atlantic crossing prior to be put on the payroll (well, contract that is).
Best way to do that is, as always in aviation, to join a ferry friend (Not a furry one ;)) during a crossing. That would be counted towards your experience and when asked by the insurance how many crossing have you completed, you can then say: 1
Much better than nothing for your credit rating.

EchinodermusMaximus

Most aircrafts crossing the Atlantic will be N reg, hence an FAA ticket being often preferable.

EchinodermusMaximus
4th Sep 2002, 20:43
Right.... the question is how do I meet someone who takes me along?

On another note, I do have a US validation of my swiss icao license, it's not current however. I heard the US in its mindless anti terror protuberances decided not to issue any further licenses to foreigners... does that include validations?

Freak On A Leash
5th Sep 2002, 10:11
Is it a PPL validation or is it a CPL with a certain restriction on it?
Don`t think you`ll be crossing the Atlantic on a PPL alone... but I don`t think that the US has stopped certifying foreign pilots - the process just takes a bit longer.As for validations I don`t know, but if you want to renew your FAA papers you`ll need to do a Flight Review, which can be done with any CFI.

The best way to meet ferrypilots is to hang around airports that have ferry operators on them.Face to face is often the best way to land a job:)

EchinodermusMaximus
5th Sep 2002, 12:03
Difficult to hang out at ferry airports in switzerland... there are none.

I never tried to validate my CPL (i only just got that license anyway), just the PPL. I'll probably have to get that done, too.

ravenx
5th Sep 2002, 13:44
This job has always struck me as a low paid lots of hours never at home sort of job (my word how different from all of the other flying jobs eh ;) )

Do these guys get lots of money - seems a bit dangerous to me Single pilot IFR over the atlantic.

I was looking on the web site you sent a link to - one of the planes they ferried loks like a pitts - hope they didn't bring that one over the atlantic :D

Tallguy
6th Jan 2003, 12:08
Hi All

Having been flying a desk in ops for a few years now I have started the New Year determined to release myself and fly properly.

I've been toying with the idea of Ferry Flying for a few months now but have not got the foggiest how to get into it. I have no flying experience that could be logged so question number one is what licences are required to fly say a single from the states to the uk, privately though obviously charging the respective owner, so is a CPL necessary? Question 2 - On completion of the required licence(s) would I be likely to find sufficient ferry work to keep me fed and watered? Question 3 - Am I living in a fairy style world and if so anyone got any bright ideas that'll get me out of my office and into the air earning a bit of cash to tied me over and pay some bills until a proper job comes along (if you can call flying a proper job...ha ha), or I'm attractive to employers?

TTFN

spittingimage
6th Jan 2003, 13:33
This subject keeps coming up. Here we go again :

1. if you wish to charge anything for your pilot services then you need a relevant CPL. Any other arrangement is dodgy and probably illegal. More specifically, therefore, for the scenario you outline, a USA FAA CPL would be required and I would strongly recommend an I/R also (half-way across the Atlantic is not a good place to discover you are not really up to it on instruments, either on the planning or execution front).

2. there are some full-time ferry pilots (I am not one) but there is, alas, the credibility gap to face of that without lots of experience, you are unlikely to attract business and vice versa. Well, you would not get my business anyway.

You will almost certainly find insurance a problem too. No previous (Atlantic) experience, no insurance. No insurance, illegal flight. I cannot recommend transatlantic ferrying (which I have done) as entry level flying work.

Try phoning some of the ferry and aviation insurance companies - seach the internet - and they will almost certainly confirm the above; with bells on !

Sorry to raise unpalatable problems rather than provide sweet solutions. That said, however, if you really, really want it enough you will probably succeed ...... eventually.

Tallguy
6th Jan 2003, 16:23
Spitting Image

I'd rather hear it the way it is than be fed some cock and bull glory stories only to end up chasing my tail...

Wireless
6th Jan 2003, 19:32
Ferry Flying isn't the be all and end all for adventurous aviation. I too wanted to get into flying because I dreamed of doing a particular type of flying (cargo). In reality you will find that most flying jobs call for the same actual Commercial Pilot's Licence but they all require different ratings and level of experience.

A Commercial Pilot's licence will allow you to get into parachute jump plane flying, bush flying, banner towing etc. I got chatting to a crop sprayer Pilot on new year's eve whilst at my next door neighbour's house believe it or not. Poor bloke wanted to talk about the football results, instead he ended up giving flying advice all night. Spraying is a similar story to ferrying. One needs a lot of experience in that field to gain a first job in that field, if you see what I mean:D (chicken vs egg).

Have a look at this site for ideas Bush Flying Website (http://ebushpilot.com/horizons.htm)

Cheers, Bill

Doghouse
17th Jan 2003, 22:53
As you can see from the responses, you need a CPL to get paid for ferrying.

Don't rule out the ferrying though. Your best bet is to get in with some ferry pilots and they may take you along with them. Forget about the transatlantic stuff, it's not for the faint-hearted. I've done it too and I wouldn't consider taking an inexperienced pilot over to Greenland and Canada.

A lot of ferrying is around Europe (and mainly over land) so try and cadge a lift.

ferrybloke
18th Feb 2003, 04:29
Hi..

I am one of those full timers - I have a page regarding careers on my company site www.ferryflight.info . Maybe this will give you some guidance ? E-mail if you have specific questions and I will try and help.

ferrybloke
18th Feb 2003, 04:35
Hi again,

I am a full time ferry pilot. Take a look at the Pilot Careers page on my company site www.ferryflight.info and see if it helps. E-mail any questions and I will try and answer.

Good Luck.

JJflyer
18th Feb 2003, 10:10
Yip.

USed to do a lot of ferrying before. Post 911 has caused a decline in work around this field. There used to be times when a company I worked for would deliver more than 10 aircraft a month.

Insurance requirements are the biggest obstacle for one to get into this business. Learning curve is steep and insurance companies know of the dangers. I have lost 2 firends in crashes and been close to ditching myself twice. An aircraft I declined as unairworthy was flown by someone else and it ditched killing the pilot.

Another problem is that there are so many pilots around that are willing to do this to build hours that getting paid for flying can be very difficult if you are not a required crewmember. And then when you are work is seasonal and totally dependent on aicraft movements. If no aircraft are moved there is no work and remember you only get paid when you do fly.

911 brought additional security requirements that have made aircraft deliveries even harder regarding paperwork and clearances when dealing with US of A.

But it was fun a lot of time... Flying with your friends into plases like Narsarsuaq or Sondre Stromfjord or Iqaluit... How about a few days in Buenos Aires. Breakfast in Guam, dinner in Pohnape. Sydney, Cairns, Los Angeles, Albuquerque, Vero Beach, Seattle, Cape Town, Dubai,Dakar, Shannon, Reykjavik and Sveinns FBO there:}