PDA

View Full Version : Stealth homepages installing themselves

tony draper
6th Jan 2003, 11:50
How can I stop ISP'S like Yahoo installing themselves as my homepage?, I normaly just have the Blueyonder homepage when I log onto the net, this morning I had Yahoo, I had to go into setting and retype my ISP homepage url, this has happened a few times and its getting on me tits.
I was sufing Google last night and the bastard must have snuck in
I also notice a load of unwanted URLs in the default homepage box in settings , how do I get rid of these?, I don't mean the history setting, I mean the default homepage settings, there are dozens of the bloody things, and emptying all off line content doesn't seem to get rid of them.

Splat
6th Jan 2003, 13:02
Yes, I agree.

I installed Yahoo messenger, and now everytime that I type an invalid web address it goes straight to Yahoo search page. Very annoying, and can I find oput how to stop it?

Any ideas much apreciated.

Cheers

Splat.

18-Wheeler
6th Jan 2003, 15:09
Easy way?
Don't use IE, use www.opera.com instead. Give version 6.05 a go.
Much faster, much more reliable, and it won't crash your computer.

timmcat
6th Jan 2003, 16:32
Trouble with Opera is its Java (Sun J2RE). Its not fully compatable with some sites utilising Java applets. I've recently tried the Beta version of Opera 7 and its still the same.

Shame because otherwise its great.

Tim

PaperTiger
6th Jan 2003, 16:52
Restoring your IE settings will get rid of the bogus homepage, but it will also reset anything else you have ever changed in the past. And it will only work if this is a 'level-1' hijack (which Yahoo probably is). There are more insidious ways that hackers can bu99er up your IE browser.

Have a read of this page (http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/hijacked/) , there is some freeware called Hijacker Blocker you might want to consider if this is happening frequently to you.

Bre901
7th Jan 2003, 15:43
About Opera, I would say that most of the trouble I have experienced with it is related to javascript code, rather than java applets. Netscape 7.01 seems a bit more immune to this kind of pages.

Although it is a bit of a hassle to have more than one browser, I use Opera as my standard browser (PPRuNe works fine) and switch to Netscape or IE5.5 only when needed (less than 5% of the time).

One of the great features built in Opera is its flexibility regarding security and privacy, among which control of pop-up windows. With one click, you can select one of "refuse", "accept", "accept requested windows only" or "open in background".