PDA

View Full Version : AOL Broadband Anyone?

mcdhu
6th Jan 2003, 10:53
Anyone tried AOL Broadband which is becoming a better deal all the time - especially now that they have dropped the charge for the 'starter' kit?

Comments would be welcome.

Cheers,
mcdhu

rocafellascunk
8th Jan 2003, 07:44
Hi there I have had AOL Broadband since July 2002...once my one year periods runs out I will definitely move on!
I have had problems with it since day1. Everytime the phone rings while I am online, I lose my connection and I have to reconnect. Imagine how frustrating that can be if you are in the middle of a download. I went to the help section and was advised to download some sort of filter that would prevent this (sorry I am not a computer literate so I don't know what it was called) Anyway I downloaded it but I still have the same problems.
If you have an X-Box and plan to go online, forget it. Apparently AOL broadband is not compatible with the X-Box online live gaming feature.
Maybe its just me or my computer but I have had enough and will be moving on as soon as I can.
Sorry to sound so negative but I hope that was useful.
Cheers
R

Maxflyer
24th Dec 2003, 01:55
I've been using it for nearly a year now and I've never had any problems. I use an old desktop PC with a 900Mhz Duron processor running Win ME. I am about to sign up for the 1Mb version as I am extremely happy. I have been involved in beta testing version 9.0 and that looks brilliant.

mcdhu
24th Dec 2003, 18:43
Just to bring this thread round the full circle, I signed up for AOL Broadband shortly after my initial post and found the whole procedure absolutely painless and it has worked faultlessly since.

I have thought about the 1Mb? version, but I am not convinced that it will be much of an improvement for the average 'surfer' for the extra cash. Do post your opinion please, Maxflyer, if and when you upgrade.

I am about to change my PC which poses me difficulties about transferring the AOL data - I only have a floppy drive. Any simple ideas would be welcome.

Cheers all,
mcdhu

Tinstaafl
24th Dec 2003, 21:08
You could stick the old HD in the new PC & copy your data to the new HD. Alternatively you could email your data to yourself from the old PC, replace the old with the new & then download your email.

mcdhu
24th Dec 2003, 21:25
Thanks Tinstaafl.

Some of my folders are about 7Mbs, is there a limit to the size of an email attachment?

Cheers,
mcdhu